• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

PlastiDip?

Mos68x

Ok, just like everyone else trucks...mine needs some love in the paint Dept. I've seen some cool videos where people have used PlastiDip to paint their vehicles to protect them from the elements. I don't remember what it was here that posted it, but it seems to be pretty true that vehicles at high elevation fade a lot faster. A few of the videos I've seen show that their Dip hasn't faded after 3years, though I'll admit that it's probably not a realistic test. Either way, I was curious if anyone has actually used it on their truck? I'm not looking for an OEM paint match, just something that looks good and will last a while. Bedliner was the pnly thing I saw people use on here in my search so I'm hoping that someone has done it but didn't say anything about it. I would bet that with as rough as the CARC paint is that I probably won't have to much of anything for prep work. I'm thinkin black for the chassis and underside bits, while everything topside will be their camo green.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Plastidip is nowhere near durable enough.

I did Plastidip on the grill of the redtruck in 2013. Bug impacts have taken a toll on it.

For MVs, I like rustoleum rattle can over CARC...(meaning "applied on top of")

Last edited:

acme66

I have had both latex and enamel mixed up to match and they have never been very close. Like the truck has a rash. If you can find a can of the CARC use that. It isn't as much of an issue on a camo truck I imagine.
Ken

Ken

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Mos68x

I'm gonna do the whole truck, not just bits and pieces. And I'll most likely do away with the camo anyways, not the kind of attention I want to get where I'm going with the truck.

Mos68x

The part I'm trying to avoid the most is the UV damage, aka fading, and the second would be chipping. That is why I was thinkin along the lines of something more rubbery. I think the only color my truck would look good in and still be reasonable in the summer is the Camo Green, or the Deep Forest Green. I would love to do gloss black, but that would be an oven even with inches of insulation in it.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The part I'm trying to avoid the most is the UV damage, aka fading, and the second would be chipping. That is why I was thinkin along the lines of something more rubbery. I think the only color my truck would look good in and still be reasonable in the summer is the Camo Green, or the Deep Forest Green. I would love to do gloss black, but that would be an oven even with inches of insulation in it.
You need to see this....

https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?76210-Behr-Paint-Jobs-Show-me-your-MV-s

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks