• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Platform for an MEP-003a

Old Huey CE

I currently have my MEP-003a installed on the ground. I would like to raise it up off the ground perhaps 2.5 feet or so onto a platform of some kind, making it easier to work on it besides getting it out of the mud when it rains & snows.

Has anyone done this with their gen set besides using a trailer.

Would appreciate any ideas or thoughts

SteveH

I had considered doing this, and mounting a larger tank underneath, but in the end just put in a concrete pad. Green Mountain had some aluminum tanks that would probably have worked well.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here in some of the more remote locations, generators are common, & controlling the environment & vibration, go together. Skipping the shed part, the most elementary vibration control that I have seen, is just setting the generator on an old truck tire. That's sort of funky. I think a concrete pad is part of it, but believe that tie-downs are necessary, and using some version of the air springs that McMasterCarr sells would be the real way to control vibration.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
4x4 posts in each corner with a double band of 2x6 around the outside would be more than strong enough to hold it.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Air springs?! Wow, why not good old rubber mud flaps? I would think its the mechanical noise of the motor, not so much the whole unit vibrating on its skids.

Old Huey CE

Apparently who ever owned the gen set before me did a repair on the bottom of the fuel tank with which looks like a fiber epoxy patch.
I've owned the gen for almost 10 years now and the patch finally started seeping. So lucky it didn't completely let go .... but even a half a gal is a pain to clean up !!!! :(

Last edited:

Isaac-1

There are several generator platform construction threads over on the Smokstak generator board on the Onan section. I recall one with someone mounting a a DJB (same engine as MEP-002a) in a platform about 6 ft off the ground at their camp in the Louisiana swamps.

Ray70

2 1/2' isn't too high but if anyone goes much higher (4' or more) and you do 4x4's upright with 2x6's on top you should probably also do chris crossed 2x4's on the legs, screwed and/or notched together where they overlap to stiffen the legs. Otherwise the vibration might eventually cause the whole thing to shift and come crashing down, unless the legs are buried deep or buried in concrete. On your leaky tank, if you haven't already fixed it, the 2 part tank epoxy from Caswell Plating worked excellent for me on 2 units.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yea, Each corner post burred in the ground on one end and standing to the desired elevation height for the generator. The same method as building a deck.

hurst01

I have my 002 sitting on a concrete pad that is 6" thick. When I started it it started "walking". By the time I noticed it, it was getting ready to topple off. I went to the local farm supply store and bought about two feet of foam that is commonly used in horse stalls. It comes in 4' widths. Cut it in half and put one piece 1' X 4' under each rail. Stopped the "walking". You could do the same on a raised platform to help keep down vibration.

Chrispyny

I have my 002 sitting on a concrete pad that is 6" thick. When I started it it started "walking". By the time I noticed it, it was getting ready to topple off. I went to the local farm supply store and bought about two feet of foam that is commonly used in horse stalls. It comes in 4' widths. Cut it in half and put one piece 1' X 4' under each rail. Stopped the "walking". You could do the same on a raised platform to help keep down vibration.
You could do what i did ... it sank an inch and stopped after 45 min of running .. good and compact .. doesn't move at all ..

Attachments

Last edited:

1800 Diesel

Get 6 treated 4x6 x 6' long, layout the footprint dimensions, put them in the ground about 3', then build the framing out of doubled-up 2x8s and then add 2x6 decking. Old tire carcasses are good for vibration reduction under the generator skid. Fasten the frame through the 4x6s with 1/2" galv hex bolts. While you're at it you can lay it out for sides, a door & a roof too. Even more room on the property? Make it large enough for fuel storage, spares & filter storage, other related stuff...some people set their fuel tanks underneath the frame or even in the ground but I like the gravity drain tanks myself. For less costs (and if you can find some) get some old telephone poles & use them for the legs instead of the 4x6s. Poles are harder to work with but I've used them quite a bit to build frames for the Cadillac containers..

When I installed my 002a in my shed I used 2 layers of 4 x 6 lumber. built a frame the same size as the generator skid, l x w. I lag bolted the lumber together and used the bolt holes in the skid to lag bolt the generator to the 4 x 6's. I then decided to have an oversize tank made. I took the batteries off the skid, and had a 21 gallon tank made by a company called Patriot Marine fabrication.
In hindsight, if I were to do this again. When you raise the generator, be it 4 x 4's, 4 x 6's, or some sort of metal framework there is a large void now under the machine. This void could be used for a sub base style fuel tank. I mean if you really want to be able to run your genset for an extended period, you could have a tank made to fit in that void. just something you might want to think about while you are planning your set up. Take care and Merry Christmas metalworker393

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks