• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Please check my logic

Atchuuu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I purchased a 100 amp kill switch from a boat place. After reading SS posts I’m thinking this is not robust enough and I need. 200 amp kill switch.

I plan to run a 24v to 12v converter off the ignition accessory switch using a 24v 50 amp relay. The converter is a 70 amp and will run a stereo, cab 4 speakers, phone charger and small amp.

My understanding is that the relay will allow the 24v ignition switch to provide the proper voltage to the converter without damaging the ignition.

Am I headed in the right direction? Any suggestions on the brand/type of relay? Do I need to add a diode to prevent back feeding the switch.

Last, I changed all glow plugs and was getting a blinking wait light. Truck was starting fine. Then it got cold and would not start. With new plugs installed I’m thinking it must be the ESS that needs replacing?

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
After you check the glow plugs put a volt meter on one and see what is happening.
Also disconnect your batteries for a while, sometimes that helps.
Low battery voltage could also be a problem, make sure they have a fresh charge and are in good condition.

Atchuuu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
After you check the glow plugs put a volt meter on one and see what is happening.
Also disconnect your batteries for a while, sometimes that helps.
Low battery voltage could also be a problem, make sure they have a fresh charge and are in good condition.
Batteries are fully charged and new. Truck starts right up when temp is warm.

Please explain what you men when you say “put a meter on one and see what is happening “.Are you suggesting something different than ohm checking?

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
After you ohm all the glow plugs, should be very low ohms, pierce the wire on one of the glow plug wires with a volt meter, cycle the run switch and see what happens...

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
you're checking to see what voltage you have at the glow plugs, and how long they get that voltage, then what happens afterwards when you turn the start switch to "run"