• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Please Don't Squeeze The HMMWV! AKA Used My Visa To Make A SuperCharge

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just purchased and received a Whipple [EDIT - supercharger]. Yes that unobtainium Whipple I have drooled over for a few years now, and no I'm not planning to TP my Slantback.

Anyone have experience installing these and then turning up the IP to allow proper fuel delivery?

[EDIT - Standard Boost is 9PSI]

Anyone water-inject their vehicle?

Gonna install on my 6.2 n/a block.

Sorry RWH, we all luv ya', but I gotta' be me.

Also having another one installed on my H1. Yeah, that means I scored 2 from 2 separate sources.

Best,

T

Last edited:

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Whipple Turbo or Super?
It'll be interesting to follow regardless.
And don't squeeze the Charmin, or Mr. Whipple gets mad.

Bulldogger

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Good to experiment. Have you worked out losses and gains HP wise. Low RPM diesel and trying to spin up the charger and the HP required could be challenging. Would be more fun to screw with it on a test stand. Lots easier to dial in and see what goes first, the pistons or crank. Don't forget one gets the air in ... got to get it out too.

Write the check for the NEW electric HMMWV, with two HMMWV you can do it. LOL just funin "T" man. Still waiting on the U-tube cameo.

NO EGT's and sneak up on the bad guys, CAMO

Last edited:

LouWon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Now i'm curious, I did some checking last night, apparently the 6.2L block is better than the 6.5L for this kind of project, only the pistons might be of concerns if you have to much pressure
Now that I'm done with the suspension project on my Humvee, this might be a good winter one. Keep us posted
And for the haters, well don't, some of us are just having fun with our toys.

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Now i'm curious, I did some checking last night, apparently the 6.2L block is better than the 6.5L for this kind of project, only the pistons might be of concerns if you have to much pressure
Now that I'm done with the suspension project on my Humvee, this might be a good winter one. Keep us posted
And for the haters, well don't, some of us are just having fun with our toys.
I am in contact with a company specializing in superchargers AND I'm considering thicker copper head gaskets to diminish compression ratio slightly.

A concern is the woodruff key (or whatever they call it) and the short harmonic balancing bolt that will need attention. I will probably use a guide to drill and tap a dowel b/t the crank shaft and the balancer to prevent spinning of the balancer on the mount. A longer screw is also apparently something these 6.2's need to prevent the balancer from cracking the woodruff key and spinning. When I add the supercharger I will be adding forces to the balancer so I need to shore-up the balancer-crank interface.

Last edited:

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why ?
Seems like a waste of time and money but then hey.
Your money and your time and your truck.
I live at sea level and I need to go up and down steep mountains to go skiing and river kayaking and such. Diesel engines hate thin air. Turbos and superchargers make up for thinner atmosphere and allow the engine to function at higher altitude and at sea level. This way I won't be forced to drive 45-55MPH in the right lane and hold up traffic in the 65-75MPH uphill mountain zones.

Besides, its my toy so why not? Same reason another member custom turbocharged his unit.

Last edited:

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How is a super charger going to increase the road speed?
I never said it would on level (terrain). Uphill on mountain passes is an issue for n/a engines.

The supercharger will keep air pressure and oxygen availability more constant while going up hill in mountains, allowing me to maintain speed uphill in air rarefied elevations.

Acceleration and horsepower will improve, but high end speed is determined by maximum engine RPM, tranny/transfer case/differential/hub gearing, and tire diameter.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Back when I used to play in the diesel performance world there were a few Cummins guys running a supercharger. But it was only to help them run huge single turbos to make up for the lack of spool on top end. However the cummins has plenty of power to spare. Superchargers require power to operate. The net gain is what makes them worth using. With only 140hp on tap at the top end of these motors. That leaves very little at the bottom end to power the supercharger. I suspect you'll see some gain. But a good turbo would do the same or possibly more.

I have concerns though about the balancer and snout of the crank.

BLK HMMWV

I live at sea level and I need to go up and down steep mountains to go skiing and river kayaking and such. Diesel engines hate thin air. Turbos and superchargers make up for thinner atmosphere and allow the engine to function at higher altitude and at sea level. This way I won't be forced to drive 45-55MPH in the right lane and hold up traffic in the 65-75MPH uphill mountain zones.

Besides, its my toy so why not?
Isn't that what I said?

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
I was working in the same direction. If it was bolt on and go, everyone would be all over it. Lot of fit up and then the dynamics of dialing it in. Work out the bugs and have fun. Can't wait to see the big hole in the hood with intake and the RAT FINK stickers pasted all over. LOL

Nothing is for free. OK, my cheap butt advice maybe, CAMO

Patracy, I think you meant boost on the low end. 🤔

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Guys, this is the same unit used on 6.2 and 6.5 marine applications, and was sold for the H1 crowd for 2 years until the turbo units made it to the civilian world. It is robust, predictable, and will do what I need at highway speed. It is set for 9PSI at maximum boost.

Not worried about off the line performance. I need to maintain highway speed uphill.

Best,

T

LouWon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Banks also has a bolt on, they claim 60HP and 115lb-ft at the real wheels and 19% more MPG
I will check if this is still available, this might be a good substitute

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks