• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Please help... Another electrical meltdown

wikallen

Can the old relay be bench tested to determine if it was in fact the failure? Just askin'

Yes, and should be before throwing parts at it. Disconnect the relay, and check continuity between the lugs (at the relay) where the red wire, and the solid purple wire connected. If you have any continuity there, the contact is stuck.

If there is no continuity, you could have jarred the contact open again. So I you could test it by applying 24volts to the coil a few times to work the contact. I would still do the starter relay mod, as the tiny contacts of that relay will fail at some point.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree testing it can be done.

If your test results in a stuck relay, you can be pretty sure it caused your issue.

If your test results show it is NOT stuck on, it does not mean that it was or was not what caused your issue.

Replacing it completely with the "doghead modification" will DEFINITELY eliminate the relay from being a source of trouble(sticking on) in the future.

As I and others have said before, DO THE MOD, and have peace of mind that you will not have the catastrophic results that others experience, when the stock relay Does go bad.

If the CUCV was like a modern vehicle, they would have done a RECALL, and done what the Doghead Modification does.

Do it now or pay big, later...

Bretsuaz48

Ordered the starter, and got an email this morning that it has been shipped. Called NAPA and running over there at lunch to pick up a solenoid.

Doghead, do you think I should replace the solenoid and see if the old starter is any good before I put the new one in? Or is it safe to assume the other one is toast?

Also, when I start working on this project over the next couple days, what is the best way to shut everything down if things start going south? If I pull the possitive cable from the battery in the back will that do the trick?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would pull the starter and have it checked at a repair shop.

Also remember to put the support bracket back on. There are two different types. One for the old dirrect drive and the newer one for the gear reduction.

The modification shouldn't take very long. "Doghead's" version is just one way to do it. It works so give it a try.

Make sure youy check your wiring before reinstall the starter and hookup the batteries. No need to fry something else.

dstang97

its a metric bolt i got one at the hardware store.

The bolt of the starter clamp in the block is a M8 x 20 metric. The two big one that hold the starten to the block are M12.
The 6.2 l Diesel is a full metric engine.

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok. I found all the parts I need, except for the bolt for the bracket to the block (14060613). Anyone have any ideas where I can find one?
14060613 - M8 x 1.25 x 20 - bracket to block bolt ------ Any hardware store should have one.
15544950 - starter bolt
14028931 - starter bracket old style direct drive
23502557 - starter bracket new sytle gear reduction

Make sure you use a "starter bolt" and not just a long bolt on the two long bolts.

As far as using a shim on the starter. It depends. More than likely not, but the block may require one. The only way to know for sure is too remove the flywheel cover and check the gap between the flywheel and the starter gear. All covered in the Tech Manual.

Last edited:

rhinob

Rhrinob, you been around long enough, you should know to change your relay by now!
Ok, ok, I made the modification yesterday. Works great. :)

My only question is why would someone refer to this solving their potential sticky glow plug relay issue. I've heard the horror stories about these relays sticking and melting the glow plugs into the engine. Is this addressed somehow by this mod? I say no. Anyone, anyone, Bueller?

Thanks....

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My only question is why would someone refer to this solving their potential sticky glow plug relay issue. I've heard the horror stories about these relays sticking and melting the glow plugs into the engine. Is this addressed somehow by this mod? I say no. Anyone, anyone, Bueller?

The "Doghead relay mod" has nothing to do with your glow plug system. (who said it did?)

It eliminates the trouble prone under-dash starter relay with a higher rated relay(that by design is not likely to ever fail in the on position).

rhinob

Found under the "Doghead starter relay modification" thread, page one, from Turkey131.....

"I just finished converting my M1009 and it works great. Very easy and now I do not have to deal with my controller frying my glow plugs. The hardest part was drilling the whole in the dash. :grin: Very happy with the results! Thanks for the pics and instructions realm!"

I didn't see any comments correcting this and thought it might be worth addressing.... :)

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Instead of a quote, a link to the post or thread it's in, would help.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All fixed, Thank you Rhinob.