• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Please help... Another electrical meltdown

Bretsuaz48

UPS should be dropping the new starter off today. I also already have the new bolts, bracket, relay, etc. ready to go. Now, just trying to decided If I have enough patience to do this! There is a shop up the street I could tow it to.

lelant

UPS should be dropping the new starter off today. I also already have the new bolts, bracket, relay, etc. ready to go. Now, just trying to decided If I have enough patience to do this! There is a shop up the street I could tow it to.
You CAN and Should do it!

No worries. I am not all that mechanically inclined but with the help from the fine people on SS and the TM I have done the following:
  • transport m1009 Ft. Bliss, Tx to Albuquerque, NM
  • Replace all fluids and filters
  • new batteries
  • get it running
  • dog head relay mod
  • replace fusible links
  • rebuild / reinstall alternators and new belts
  • troubleshoot no gen 2 light
  • remove insturment cluster & clean all contacts
Half the fun = working on it youself, the other half driving it. Only bad thing is when your 17 year old daughter crashes it.Thankfully no injuries.

Bretsuaz48

Ok. Installed the new solenoid. The old solenoid was just hanging down on the floor. Is it ok to leave the new one hanging down until I can figure out how to mount it? Or does it have to be mounted to work properly?

Bretsuaz48

WooHoo! She is up and running! Insalled the new solenoid, new battery terminal (melted), and new starter including the support bracket. Starts fine and everything seems ok. :beer:

Is there anything else I should check wiring wise since everything got so hot?

Bretsuaz48

****. Found another problem which I think may be related. Now, the Gen 1 light is on. It is dim when idling, but glow bright and solid when driving. It never did this before this whole issue came up.

I looked at all the wires running to the alternator and they seem to be ok. Does this mean the alternator is fried?

JAD561

I know you saw my post & left your number. Just saw it today. my first conversion failed, as you can see from my post. here is what i did to get up & running again. I removed the relay that was put in as part of the "doghead" conversion. I read about it in another post & searched it out. very informative with good pictures & directions. I bought thye starter from a seller on EBAY named caltric. I can double check the name. starter was $ 110, and shipping was $ 20. all of the fusible links at the glow plug relay had to be replaced. I bought a roll of 12 gauge fusible link wire, terminal connectors, and heat shrink. after replacing the relay, fusible links, and starter, I went to the battery closest to the front of the vehicle. I removed the wire from the negative side of the battery that goes to the front of the vehicle in front of the battery support bracket. I replaced this with a fusible link. That way, if there is any future type of failure, the link will go before wipng out any wiring. I'm sure you will see that your existing wire is burned. the first conversion that was done on my 84 m1009 failed, because I believe that the starter they used was incorrect. so far I have had no problems since replacing the starter, and redoing the relay conversion myself.