• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Please help

just-speed

Morning folks. I am a K5 lover and Owner of three now with the purcahse of a 1985 Military K5. I got this Blazer just a few days ago and I am not up at all with the Military terms used or needed. This Blazer is missing quite a few parts. No tranny, Belts, Alt bracket's, Power steering Pump and something on the side of the Injector pump.

I have souced the power steering pump, Brackets and Tranny. I have installed the belts and Rad hoses. Now its time to fire engine and where my issue comes in. I need some teaching here. The glow plugs do not come on. How does that work with the key? (Please remember I am a virgin....lol) I have tested power at noid and only one wire has power. The Red wire. No power to Blue, Orange or pink. I jumped the red wire to the orange wire and glow plugs work. Or did.

Moving on. Engine fires up but at super high rpms. I mean really high then shuts off. Insane crazy. What should I be looking for. There is something on the side of the injector pump. Pass side that is missing. Two Vaccum lines go to it. One from Vaccum pump and the other to Tranny. Is this causing Super high revs? I check the cold start thing and backed it off all the way to be sure that was not the issue and its not.

Can anyone help me? Also please help with glow plugs. If i turn key on glow plusg should work auto right? But if nothing happens what should I be looking for?

firecontrol86

If you go to the CUCV faq page, click on TM 9-2320-289-20 Unit Maintenance Manual, it has a whole troubleshooting section on the Glow plug system. It's a step-by-step walkthrough on what to look for. Also try searching using the search forum button. I bypassed my glow plug controller with a toggle switch so I know when they're going on, a lot of these trucks apparently have glow plug issues.

just-speed

Thanks,

I have spent all morning going over all the info I can find. I cant seem to find anywhere what the noid on the side of the IP is for.

Thanks for the info

raiburn

The thing on the pass side of the IP is called a Vacuum Valve.
It is used to simulate the vacuum a gas motor would have, so the tranny shifts correctly. It should not cause the symptoms you have, but I cannot be sure. Joe.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The thing on the pass side of the IP is called a Vacuum Valve.
It is used to simulate the vacuum a gas motor would have, so the tranny shifts correctly. It should not cause the symptoms you have, but I cannot be sure. Joe.
Almost correct. The item in question is the Vacuum Regulator Valve (or transmission vacuum valve) It regulates the vacuum supplied to the transmission module on the side of the tranny. The actual vacuum is generated from the vacuum pump that is at the back of the engine. It is where a ignition distributor would be.

The valve has nothing to do with the high idle.

Just-Speed,
Welcome to SteelSoldiers.

The CUCV glowplug system is different than the civvy version. It has its own controller card specific to the vehicle. There is an entire section on troubleshooting the GP system in the TM 9-2320-289-20 manual. (free here)

On a stock truck the the GP system is 24v.

1. 24v is fed to the GP relay via the RED wire. It travels thru a LARGE resistor pack on the firewall.
2. When energized the 24v is fed to the glowplugs ia the orange wires. As the GPs heat up, the resistance in the Resistor Pack drops the voltage back down to 12v.
3. The pink and blue wires control the GP relay. They feed 12v to the relay via the GP Contoler card under the dash. (left side of the steering column)

Many people havel bypassed the Controler card and installed a one wire contact switch to manually control the GPs.

As far as the high idle, I would guess that the injector pump is gummed up inside (due to bad fuel, water, etc) and needs to be rebuilt. With the trucks being 25+ years old, alot of pumps are starting to fial due to worn internal parts.

Make sure you visit the Cucv Wiki - Steel Soldiers::Military Vehicles Supersite (CUCV Wiki) that is at the top of the page on the CUCV Forum. All of the CUCV Technical Manuals are listed and many other helpful bits of information.

Download the manuals for reference. Also the wiring diagrams are in the appendix.

Also checkout the http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/20600-faq-thread-cucvs.html stickey. It is where we try to post helpful tips and tricks.
Almost every question you will have has been asked and answered many times. The advanced search will become your best friend. Please don't hesitate to ask something that you can't find.

Read the TM 9-2320-289-10 Operators Manual to find out how a stock system should work. It is simular to the Operators Manual for Civilian vehicles. It tells you where all the lighs, switches, etc are located and what they do.

Warthog

Last edited:

just-speed

Fella's I have spent hours today looking at so many threads and posts my eyes are hurting. I cant find where this issue with high rev start-up has come up before. I did read one bit about issue with total different engine and set-up. That turned out to be sticky cable. Is there an expert you guys would suggest I reach out to that is here on the forum?

motormayhem

Mine will rev real high if there is air in the fuel lines, like right after I do a fuel filter. Then once I get out and prime it it runs like a top.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Let's check something. Remove the cover from the governor on top of the injector pump and check for black flakes in the housing.

If there are alot of black flacks then the pump needs to be rebuilt.

The issue is that the plastic/rubber retainer for the weight retainer disengrates with age. This allows the weights to "flop around" and allow more fuel to flow.

Chapter 3 from the TM 9-2320-289-34 manual has a good section on the IP.

Attachments

just-speed

Thanks guys. Turns out the cold start and idle were way off and when you start truck throttle would be sucked to full throttle. I moved spring and set idle. Now it idles fine. Only issue left is its a bear to start. It stumbles and acts as if its really trying to start then it does. Runs like crap for 10 secs or so then clears up and runs awesome.