• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Please,WHAT KIND OF WINCH IS THIS? Thanks!

jusbrock

I apologize up front if i'm going about this the wrong way? So I got this winch that was listed as a DP Cargo winch, but after looking at their gov. line of winches i concluded it wasn't a DP. Its obviously a cargo winch that mounted on the bottom side of a boom and I think its a Garwood but I would like to know for sure the maker and the lifting capacity. I'm also assuming this is a single layer drum and its PTO driven.( I do have the piece that mounts over the drive shaft) What would i need to consider when/if i want to drive it with a Hydro motor(char-lynn 2000 series). And Of course i want to know what its worth. The tag on it states it was repaired in 2010 and it gives a standard of repair. I'm assuming it would have been a "factory rebuild" or least all wear parts replaced.
I appreciate any info one has to offer.

Attachments

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also fits M543A2 boom. It is driven by a large direct mount hydraulic motor. If you google the M543A2 wrecker you will probably see it on the boom.

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wrecker gurus, what is the single line pull of that winch? I would suppose that is the winch capacity.

Another Ahab

Looks like its rated to lift 10 tons. Not sure if pull is more but it seems like it would be.
That's funny. Because when I saw the title of this thread, "What Kind of Winch is This", and then I saw the pics the first thing that came to mind was:

- That is a BIG winch! :jumpin:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
That's funny. Because when I saw the title of this thread, "What Kind of Winch is This", and then I saw the pics the first thing that came to mind was:

- That is a BIG winch! :jumpin:
A small winch as winches go.

The rating on a crane has NOTHING to do with line pull, it has to do mainly with structural strength, secondly tipping, on most cranes including military wreckers/cranes the working line drums will have enough line pull if rigged for a heavy lift is easily to exceed the MAX. structural rating and a single line can easily get in to tipping mode if the lifted weight is outside the rating. . On the military wreckers, to get the MAX TM lifting rating, a 2 or 3 part work line (depends on what the wrecker is) is required, as far as tipping goes the above still applies here, so my guess is that the single line pull is not that great on this winch.

Another Ahab

The rating on a crane has NOTHING to do with line pull, it has to do mainly with structural strength, secondly tipping, on most cranes including military wreckers/cranes the working line drums will have enough line pull if rigged for a heavy lift is easily to exceed the MAX. structural rating and a single line can easily get in to tipping mode if the lifted weight is outside the rating. .
Do you mean structural strength, as in the boom?

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Do you mean structural strength, as in the boom?
Yes, mainly boom but center pin, or the load rotation bearings (forgot the name) they replaced the hook roller/center pin setup, these are bearings with big ball bearings inside, the outer race is attached to the upper, the inner race is attached to the lower, the ball bearings are trapped between the inner/outer races which prevents the two races from pulling apart due to contract surface, these are the two main structural points affect by a lift, there are a bunch more secondary points that are affected but most will not bring down a crane down like the main ones will, I have seen the aftermath of a center pin and a hook roller break, what you see is BOTH the upper and the lower on the ground. A heavily over loaded crane can easily pull the center pivot right of the crane or break it if the conditions are right.

Another Ahab

I've never witnesses a structural failure. But I was on a job once where the operator overswung his outriggers. It was like a 30-ton Grove. We were flying a fan coil unit to a building rooftop.

- That whole machine went over. It looked like a slow machine film. You could see him reach that tipping point (though at the time none of us knew it was coming). And he was at full hydro boom extension AND with the lattice jib extension beyond that.

- Scared the living S--- out of all of us there (I'm guessing the operator especially)! By the grace of God nobody was hurt. The operator was belted in, and so he was rattled, for sure; but he was OK. And the crane went down on open ground so no building damage either.

I used to always trust and have the faith that when I was on a job, that the operator knew what he was doing, and that everything was professional and fine.

After that episode, I changed my tune. Anything can happen at any time, even WITH all the safety protocols. People are people, and sometimes we make mistakes.

After that I didn't trust anybody (NOBODY), around heavy equipment. I always kept my head up after that one.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks