• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

PLGR to Toughbook.

Riftweaver

Well, here comes a good one.....

I have a PLGR and I also have a Toughbook. Along with the PLGR, I have the communication cord that goes between it and a COM port on a computer. If I use Google Earth, how does it get the signal from the PLGR to pinpoint location?

I am unsure if my cable is good or not. I also don't know if there is any additional software needed.

Rift

tim292stro

It would be interesting to compare plugger performance to a modern GPS's performance. Interested? I have a toughbook coming this week that I can plug into my multiconstellation GNSS.

tim292stro

Somewhat, but civilian GNSS tech hasn't stood still either (like military moving from PLGR to DAGR). The Ublox Neo-M8N chipset in my receiver can receive from: GPS/QZSS L1 C/A, GLONASS L10F, BeiDou B1 SBAS L1 C/A, Galileo E1B/C constellations (not just US based GPS), and it supports all of the SBAS types: WAAS, EGNOS, MSAS - and has an INDOOR receive sensitivity of -167db (and I put a Tallysman TW3710 dual band GNSS high-rejection SAW-filtered/LNA antenna). With more constellations available, more control points for each constellation available, and with various GPS signal encoding schemes used (and the GNSS receiver can receive from multiple and correlate simultaneously), the jamming is much harder.

It's not just the frequencies that help reject jamming - the signal type also helps. It's like the difference between analog cell phones vs. CDMA digital cell phones, where analog signals would fade and could be overridden by a noise source on the same frequency, while the CDMA type tolerate noise better and in digital form will reach further.

Analog:
Motorola-Dynatac.jpg

Digital:
LG-AX4270.jpg

[EDIT:] To clarify, I'm most interested in differences with receive sensitivity and tracking stability (in-motion, and static). [/EDIT]

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks