• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Plode's M923A2

plode

Painted a bunch today. Finished the second coat around the passenger side window and the window frame. Put two coats on the passenger side dash area. Reinstalled the data plates once that was dry. Put on the 2nd and 3rd coats on the roof. Sanded down the grill and area around the headlights- gave that a coat. Took off the headlight rings and gave them two coats.
On the next sunny/warm day I have off I'm going to put a second coat on the grill area, and start sanding the hood and fenders, and giving them a coat.
Might take me a while doing it all myself, but I'll get it done.
I should probably just go borrow my brothers sprayer to do it- been using a foam roller and brushes. It still looks good, it's just a pain to get in every nook and cranny.

If I do spray it, does anyone have a way of doing the grill mesh without getting green over spray on the radiator?

I also think the truck is locked in 6x6. I have to check the airlines at the transfer case. Power steering is still leaking, was going to check that out but didn't want to open the hood with the grill and prop rod still being wet. It's either a line, or the pump itself. It's dripping down enough that it made the front differential wet with oil. Once I get the power steering leak fixed, I'm going to use some real good degreaser on the front differential to ensure the front pinion seal isn't leaking.

I need to finish going around and greasing everything. I ran out of grease last time, so I picked up another tube at Walmart the other day. I'll probably need a few more with as many grease fittings as this truck has :lol:

plode

Slowly getting more paint done on the truck. Still have to do another coat on the fender(only 1 coat in the picture, black is showing through).
20140412_124143_zpsc99my8ra.jpg20140412_124157_zpsztwxmlek.jpg

Using the Behr Marquee. Been using a roller and a brush. It's coming out great. I'm going to borrow an electric sprayer from my brother to do the underside. Still debating on if I'm going to do everything underneath in green or black.

I also took a look at the power steering leak. It's not a line leaking, it appears to be a seal or gasket in the pump itself. Not sure if there is a parts diagram of the pump.

If I change the transmission to Dex, do I have to flush it out, or will the dex mixed with residual 10wt be ok?

Last edited:

plode

Went underneath today to troubleshoot the frozen transfer case linkage. Removed the link between the arm coming off of the truck pivot point. Tried working the lever, it's still a 2 hand job pulling up very hard to even get it to move. I tried working it up and down a few times to maybe loosen it up a bit, but it didn't help. So clearly the tightness is in the trucks pivot point.
I lowered the spare tire down with a come-along(don't have a chain hoist yet) so I can get at the pivot point better tomorrow when I'm done work.

I also am having trouble being able to even see the air lines on top of the transfer case close enough to identify what ports are what(I think the truck might be locked in 6x6).
At least the spare is out of my way now too so I can paint the back of the cab and front of the bed.

plode

Went underneath today to troubleshoot the frozen transfer case linkage. Removed the link between the arm coming off of the truck pivot point. Tried working the lever, it's still a 2 hand job pulling up very hard to even get it to move. I tried working it up and down a few times to maybe loosen it up a bit, but it didn't help. So clearly the tightness is in the trucks pivot point.
I lowered the spare tire down with a come-along(don't have a chain hoist yet) so I can get at the pivot point better tomorrow when I'm done work.

I also am having trouble being able to even see the air lines on top of the transfer case close enough to identify what ports are what(I think the truck might be locked in 6x6).
At least the spare is out of my way now too so I can paint the back of the cab and front of the bed.

Well, as far as the transfer case linkage goes...I have all of the links undone- they were all frozen up pretty good. The pivot point that is mounted near the very back of the cab is what is frozen up...BAD. I got both arms off of it, but the keys are frozen in the keyways of the shaft. Will have to work on that on Wednesday(going to rain tomorrow). I also have to work on the interlock wiring from the button on the T/C lever.

I did get the air lines sorted out to the transfer case, as detailed in the main airline mix up thread.
I went around trying to find more air leaks. I found both the drivers side front and the passenger side rear glad hand ball valves leak out of the knob/stud area. Will have to take a trip to Home Depot and buy some ball valves to replace them.
Fixed an air leak on one of the air lines coming out of the parking brake. Air is also flowing to the windshield wiper motors even though both control knobs are off. I'd really like to put a ball valve in to shut the air feed off to both valves.

Biggest issues I'm facing right now- I have an audible air flow(very small amount) into the air intake stack. It flows whether the parking brake is on or off.
And the power steering pump leak. I'm afraid to tear into the pump for fear that I might not be able to find the correct seals/gaskets to put it back together.

Picked up more paint at Home Depot. Next sunny/warm day I'll be working on the doors and the back of the cab. I finished up the fenders today. Power washed the bed and pretty much underneath the entire truck. I'll be picking up paint chips out of the grass for years!
Feels good to make some progress. I'm very happy it's out of 6 wheel drive. Ought to drive differently(better) too.

Still have to go buy fluids(ATF, 15w40) and what ever is in the transfer case, and gear oil for the differentials.
I have all new filters for everything on the truck except the air filter(No one seems to have it...Napa told me they could order it but quoted me some outrageous price(over $100).

Last edited:

plode

HELP!!!!
Ok, finally got one of the keys out of the keyway- after I realized it wasn't just a straight key- it's one of the half moon shaped ones. So I used a punch to rock it back and forth to break it loose from the shaft(actually had to use the claw of a hammer to rip it out.

Now this shaft(number 5) will not budge.
shaft_zpse89279f7.jpg

I'm trying to get it out so I can sand it down and grease it so it actually moves so I can put the transfer case in low gear if need be.
I have both arms(1+7 in the picture) off. I have the one woodruff key out- number 11 in the picture.
I've beat on the shaft with a 3lb sledge hammer(trying to push it out from right to left)...it won't budge. Sprayed PB blaster on it before I called it quits tonight, but I doubt it's going to help.

Any ideas???

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, as far as the transfer case linkage goes...I have all of the links undone- they were all frozen up pretty good. The pivot point that is mounted near the very back of the cab is what is frozen up...BAD. I got both arms off of it, but the keys are frozen in the keyways of the shaft. Will have to work on that on Wednesday(going to rain tomorrow). I also have to work on the interlock wiring from the button on the T/C lever.

I did get the air lines sorted out to the transfer case, as detailed in the main airline mix up thread.
I went around trying to find more air leaks. I found both the drivers side front and the passenger side rear glad hand ball valves leak out of the knob/stud area. Will have to take a trip to Home Depot and buy some ball valves to replace them.
Fixed an air leak on one of the air lines coming out of the parking brake. Air is also flowing to the windshield wiper motors even though both control knobs are off. I'd really like to put a ball valve in to shut the air feed off to both valves.

Biggest issues I'm facing right now- I have an audible air flow(very small amount) into the air intake stack. It flows whether the parking brake is on or off.
And the power steering pump leak. I'm afraid to tear into the pump for fear that I might not be able to find the correct seals/gaskets to put it back together.

Picked up more paint at Home Depot. Next sunny/warm day I'll be working on the doors and the back of the cab. I finished up the fenders today. Power washed the bed and pretty much underneath the entire truck. I'll be picking up paint chips out of the grass for years!
Feels good to make some progress. I'm very happy it's out of 6 wheel drive. Ought to drive differently(better) too.

Still have to go buy fluids(ATF, 15w40) and what ever is in the transfer case, and gear oil for the differentials.
I have all new filters for everything on the truck except the air filter(No one seems to have it...Napa told me they could order it but quoted me some outrageous price(over $100).
The OE air filter is Donaldson and I do not think Wix makes it as it is not used commercially in any application that I could find. Check the part number they give you at napa on the wix site to make sure it will work. Add a 2 to the beginning of the napa # to get the wix number. Just doesn't sound right.

plode

What does the long spring do on the spare tire davit? I've looked at all the TM's and can't figure out what its for. The only one that even mentions it is the spare parts manual and it just says it's a spring.

MtnSnow

Sounds like you have a leaking brake diaphragm if it is venting into the stack while just sitting with nothing being applied.

If it leaks when your foot is on the brake steady (not moving your foot up or down but applied steady) then it most likely is the ABS valve at the front center of the truck forward of the pumkin (Bendix LQ-2 is the part#) as that was what was leaking on mine.

plode

Sounds like you have a leaking brake diaphragm if it is venting into the stack while just sitting with nothing being applied.

If it leaks when your foot is on the brake steady (not moving your foot up or down but applied steady) then it most likely is the ABS valve at the front center of the truck forward of the pumkin (Bendix LQ-2 is the part#) as that was what was leaking on mine.
How do I determine which wheel the leaky diaphragm is at?

And it also leaks when I put pressure on the brake steadily. So I guess I'll be replacing at least one diaphragm(once I figure out which one it is) and the ABS valve.

MtnSnow

Start with the ABS valve since you say it vents continuously while on the brake (should only vent when you let off the brake pedal).... Then if you still are getting leakage into the stack then an easy way to find the leaking diaphragm is to build up your tank pressures and shutdown the truck so you can hear better since you wont have engine noise (have the wheels chocked) so you don't use the parking brake and just listen at each wheel's brake chamber. If it is very very slight leakage you might need to undo each brake chambers vent line so you can feel/listen for which is leaking.

btw on Ebay you can get the LQ-2 valve brand new very inexpensively. sometime from Napa for a good price locally

plode

Thank you. I'll add fixing the brake stuff to the list. The list keeps growing.

Today I worked on the doors- mainly body filler in some minor dents, wire wheeled rusty spots, and primed them with rusty metal primer. I'll paint them green tomorrow.

I decided to get the pressure washer out and some simple green and clean off the area around the power steering pump to see if I can locate the leak. After I washed it off, I took a look. It looks like its missing a bolt that holds it to the air compressor on the bottom, but now that I look at the parts TM, it looks like there is only one bolt holding it to the compressor. Odd.

Once the water is dry I'm going to put baby powder around the entire area to see if I can pin point where the leak is coming from.

Still no luck with the shaft for the transfer case pivot. I've hit it with PB Blaster several times today and it still doesn't want to budge. I'm not sure what to do, as it's frozen- won't turn at all. And the part that it goes through is part of the cab, so it's not like I can replace a bracket or something.

plode

Still no luck with the shaft for the transfer case pivot. I've hit it with PB Blaster several times today and it still doesn't want to budge. I'm not sure what to do, as it's frozen- won't turn at all. And the part that it goes through is part of the cab, so it's not like I can replace a bracket or something.

I kept hitting the shaft with the sledge hammer and it finally broke loose. Once it was flush, I had to weld a long piece of rebar to it so I could keep pounding it through the mount. Finally got it out after hitting on it for about an hour. Surprised none of my neighbors didn't complain about the constant hammering.
I have to figure out how to clean the mount out. Maybe some type of wire brush for cleaning copper pipe fittings. Going to sand the shaft down and file down any burrs. Then am going to grease the heck out of it and put it back in.

Got the doors painted up today. Have to do another coat around the window frame.

I need a bigger air compressor and a sand blaster for doing the rusty bed :lol:

Picked up 5 gallons of Rotella 15w40 at Tractor Supply today. It was on sale.

plode

Got the shaft back in today(with a ton of grease). Hooked the T/C linkage back up...went into the cab..and it actually shifts high-neutral-low. Very happy about that. I replaced the ball valve on the front gladhand connection. No leaks anymore there.
I hooked it up to the shop air to see if the T/C shift interlock was releasing with the button on the T/C lever...it was, but wouldn't shift under pressure.
I plugged the line to the interlock actuator off and put a plug into the actuator. Shifts great now, even when pressure is up.

I painted around the window frames again, 3 coats wasn't enough.

Reinstalled the drivers side windshield wiper motor finally.

As far as the brakes, it is definitely leaking somewhere while I hold steady pressure on the brake pedal. Something in the drivers side step is making a noise(almost like the rear "trumpet" but much shorter and not nearly as loud.) when there is pressure on the brake pedal.
There is also a steady leak while the truck is just sitting. I went around and tried listening for the leak...can't figure out which one it is. I'm not sure which line is the vent line...otherwise I would have went around and disconnected each one and figured it out.

Last edited:

plode

So power steering area leak... this is all I can find after cleaning the area(as best as I can with a pressure washer and simple green(not the best degreaser) and running the truck for a bit.
pspump.jpg

I need to figure out the situation with these windows and their alignment as well.
driverswindow1.jpgpasswindow1.jpgpasswindow2.jpg

Not too sure how to fix their alignment.

plode

I'm sure this has bugged more then one of you. I'm putting the windshield wipers back on to the truck and hooking up all new lines. I notice that the drivers side wiper parks directly in my line of vision. If I swap the lines around, will it park on the opposite side(towards the center of the truck-which would be less in my line of vision)?

MtnSnow

For the wiper just undo the nut that holds the wiper arm to the shaft and move the wiper arm into the "new park position" you want and then reinstall the nut on the shaft. That's what I did with mine so my wipers "park" right at the top edge of the window.

As for the drivers & passenger side window alignment....I'm still trying to figure that one out for my self too~!

plode

As for the drivers & passenger side window alignment....I'm still trying to figure that one out for my self too~!
It's bad on mine. It rained the past 2 days and I found a very wet cab today. Opened the windows and doors today once it was sunny out and tried getting it to dry out as much as possible. Will open it back up tomorrow morning, supposed to be 70 and sunny.

Scott88M

I have so many leaks in mine the floor is wet regardless of the windows. There's a pesky one that drips into my boot when I'm pressing the accelerator. Just waiting on warmer weather and a free weekend to start plugging holes

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks