• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Plowzilla

derby

My M51a2 had a plow on it that the Gov. put on it, it was gone when i got it. They had a section of C channel from each of the U-bolt bottoms under the axle. there was enough bolt there for them to fasten it without removing the old nuts. it looked pretty stout. I think your set up look's pretty good, but might need some horizontal support. I have pushed alot of snow and have broke some well made frame work when I hit some hidden treasure!

blacktop

I have a feeling that mount wont look that nice too long. You might want to put some more back bracing. As is, the weight of a deuce and if that plow hits something hard its going to fold that up in to a crumpled pop can formation.
The bars leading up to the rear mounts are 1X3 solid steel over kill but the size fit the mount well. The weak link (by design) are the grade 2 bolts at the hinge point. Also this plow like almost every plow has a foward trip built into the a frame.The plow will fold ahead before there is any damage. I tryed it out in my gravel lot. It dug down about six inches for about 2 feet before it triped.Im not two concerned about the strength but poor jugment can break anything. I will admit it is a compromise of strength and removeability but 12 inches of ground clearance wont do in the summer. If it brakes Ill just make it stronger!

Last edited:

scooter01922

Grade 2 bolts??? Bleh, i hate those darned things. I need to post up some pics of the plow frame setup on my M35A1. Its about the most sturdy looking flow frame i have ever seen. Hate to even venture a guess on how much it must weigh. The plow has to be in all likelihood near a ton all by itself. BIG 11 foot highway plow with a support frame on the back that looks solid enough to use the thing as a bulldozer. See if i can't snap a few tomorrow :)

tm america

i would do more to cross brace it since it is alot of plow and a big truck things in the ground dont move .with the length of your drop brackets the leverage will be huge .1x3 steel looks like a 1x3 pretzel when you put 10000lbs of force on it .14000lbs truck x10mph it looks like the back brace is just bolted to the front which will make it easy for it to pivot at that point .i have been plowing for 15yrs and have broken many different plow frames even pro series you will find out fast what breaks and what doesnt i would advise you bring lots of chains and ratchet straps to lift things back up if something lets go so you can at least get home

BEASTMASTER

thats whats nice about having a winch on the truck. if the pump gives out you can just lift the plow with the winch.or if you break something you just pick the thing up with the winch and head for the garage.

jollyroger

I apreciate all the plow info also. I am thinking about bobbing a deuce to put a plow on and have the sander in the bed to use commercially. I would leave it 6X6 but you all know how it is to maneuver one in a parking lot as is let alone with a plow hangin' on the front.

tm america

ahh good eye beastmaster i would still keep some chains its nice to be able to chain it from moving side to side if the plow bracket lets go and lift it with the winch wouldnt want one of the drop legs to go through the radiator:?:

snowplow

I would say make it a beefy as possible, just checked on my Oahkosh plow truck with a 11 or 12' roll over plow & that blade is very heavy, I'd guess 2000-2500# & it shakes the truck if you rotate too fast! It has a very heavy duty frame & mount. Truck weighs 25or 27000# & AF put a 6" thick slab of concreat in bed for weight. Nice looking rig, I had been looking for something like that to put on one of my duces till I found the Oshkosh.:razz:

nhdiesel

I see an issue with it not being triangulated enough. You have more of a trapezoid, not a triangle, so its going to want to do what a cardboard box with no ends does- flatten. There is 1 weld to stop it, but a lot of force is going to be put on that weld. In the pic below I circled the weak spots in blue. I would start by welding up the lower rear bolt location to keep it from being so easy to pivot (the rearward spot I have circled in blue), then weld in braces to strengthen it more. I would do one of two things- either weld in a brace running what I have marked in red, or use something like 1/4" plate to make braces to weld in where I have marked in green. You might even be able to leave the bolts in place if you go with the plates (green) but I would feel better if that bolt location was welded up.

CIMG3740.jpg

Just a thought. Otherwise it looks good, I'd like to put a plow on when I can get a Deuce to keep for myself.

Jim

mudguppy

nh' - that's the same issue and conclusion i came up w/. i just didn't have the time to draw on the pic and repost. :roll:

OP - i concur w/ nhdiesel; you need to beef the bottom of the plow frame for the longitudinal forces exerted by the plow. and, as already suggested, some X-bracing to resist the latitudinal forces.

blacktop

Thankyou , there seemed to be alot of concern about the strength of the mount but except for a lost pin it has performed great.

greenjeepster

I think it looks like it could be braced better, but it looks like it is built plenty heavy enough.

I have been looking at plows for mine and found a great deal on a surplus 10 ft Flink Plow, but after considering it long and hard I have decided to go with a lighter plow like yours.

I am going to mount the frame similarly only I am going to the top of the bumper and pinning through the holes for the shackles and then I will run support arms back to the axle.

Just need to find a plow priced reasonable.

66Reo6X6

Say, if you happen to find yourself in or near Velva stop in. I could use some help mounting my V plow if you wouldn't mind that is. Look for the shop with the black 1960 Chevy BelAir on the roof. PM me for more contact info.

MasterChief

Does anyone have a source for 11.00 x 20 SNOWplow tread tires that will not send me into the poorhouse?

Need to plow with my bobbed M-35. Running 14.00 x 20 - they do many things well BUT useless for plowing.....
Local "geniuses " can't seem to help.
Prefer close to Maine as shipping cost factors.
Thanks!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks