• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Plug came out

Big Z

I hadn't started my deuce in a couple months. Work has kept me away from it unfortunately. I drained the water out of it before I left it sit. So, I decided to toy with it and filled it with water. The water came gushing out of a hole in the block. One of those plugs from the casting..I'm not sure what they're called. Passenger side of engine. I was able to cram my hand into position for a cellphone picture. Anybody know where I can get replacements? Or any threads on it?

Attachments

engineman2

They are freeze plugs and are designed to pop out to relieve pressure from frozen coolant. A pain in the arse for sure but much better than a cracked block. They're easy to install as long as you can swing a hammer in the general area. Just put a socket about the size of the plug in it and hit it in. Just be careful not to hit it all the way through the hole and into the water passage. If I'm not mistaken, you should be able to re-use the one that popped out assuming it isn't deformed. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable about the deuce's will chime in shortly and tell you where to find one.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
NAPA will have them. The freeze plug is a theroetical safety. Your going to be real lucky, if there is no other serious damage to the block and head.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
1. Above posters are correct.
2. More likely than not, you'll be removing a bunch of stuff to get a clear shot at the new plug with a hammer
3. I always apply a bit of RTV around the freeze plug as a safety

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You should leave coolant in it. It rusted through. Proper antifreeze concentration will stop whatever damage that is happening, but the rust pits will still be there.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
While most people call them "freeze plugs" that's not what they are actually made for. They are simply plugs to seal the holes left from the casting process. People call them freeze plugs because they can pop out and save your engine if it freezes.

You're not out of the woods yet though. Even though the plug let go, you could still have damage. If no other cracks are visible, only thing to do is fill it full of fluids, run it, and make sure the fluids stay where they should.

Bill W

You can cheat and use a expansion plug ( save you from removing alot of parts ), this would be a quick fix so you could fill system back up ( with just water ) and check to see if there is further damage to the block before going further into the repair with proper ( metal ) plug

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks