• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Plywood Roof Mod

McSpeed

I'm sick of the canvas roof being so saggy and floppy and leaky. I've seen the plywood mod and talked to my brother-in-law in the army and he told me how they wedge that in to help. They don't do anything fancy - just shove two pieces in - one on each side and call it good. I've taken some pics and will post them if this works. I got a sheet of 1/2 CDX plywood. It ended up being 66.5" wide and 33" deep to sit on the main flat upper part of the windshield frame and mid-bow. Mine is a two man roof set up. I then took the router and put a beveled edge all the way around so it wouldn't ride hard on the edges of the canvas. I went with regular plywood instead of pressure treat because I wanted to paint and get it going sooner -the pressure treated was very moist and was going to have to dry for a while before I could paint.

I cut 3, 2" round holes across the center bot where the velcro straps drop through.

My canvas roof was a filthy mess - so took it out for a nice soap and pressure washing. It is hanging on my fence drying out now.

I think I want to paint the inside black. Going to scuff and paint the center bow black I think as well. Should be able to attach a nice center console box if desired. Right now I have a stereo speaker system between the seats that sounds nice but takes up way too much space. Maybe move speakers up there.

Not sure yet how to attach it. Considering counter sunk aluminum rivets which would be good for any corrosion issues, but can't just unscrew and remove quickly if I want that way. Could do stainless sheet metal screws, but will have to load them up with lube if I do.

I might be able to just use some butyle tape or adhesive as well.

I've seen some of you guys have really nice upper consoles.

Does it sound like I'm on the right track? I'm waiting on the topside to dry so I can flip and paint the bottom. It would be awesome if I could adhesive an American flag to it as a headliner. But, I'm not an interior guy at all.

Reactions: 98G

fpchief

I think you are doing awesome. We used that corrugated plastic material (the kind of material USPS baskets are made out of) and put that up in the roof to help the sag.

A good quality Old Glory would look real good as a headliner!!!

Speakers are a PITA in an MV, since using plywood could you fasten them to the plywood somehow...if it doesnt vibrate too much? I have screwed them to the pillar and seen them connected to the bows too using hose clamps. Skies the limit.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Riv nuts with countersunk screws would likely be the best solution.
For my 2 man top I used a sheet of FRP (Fiberglas Reinforced Plastic), cut out holes for the roof straps to go through, and called it good.

3d3ae22d724568c0228c235c6e4edb164a14bce7-7.jpg
b8e007b4579690d2b0011c698617d69f6728f5aa-1.jpg

Only possible issue I see is with using a solid mounting method you are more likely to shear off whatever you are using to secure the plywood in place as things shift around,

McSpeed

Riv nuts with countersunk screws would likely be the best solution.
For my 2 man top I used a sheet of FRP (Fiberglas Reinforced Plastic), cut out holes for the roof straps to go through, and called it good.

View attachment 809359
View attachment 809360

Only possible issue I see is with using a solid mounting method you are more likely to shear off whatever you are using to secure the plywood in place as things shift around,
That is super clean. Where did you find the material to do that? I’d prefer other than wood for moisture issues.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is super clean. Where did you find the material to do that? I’d prefer other than wood for moisture issues.
That was a govplanet auction I won for what was just labeled as "plastic sheet"
What it really was is the fiber reinforced plastic, 1/8" think I believe, in 4'x5' sheets.
Have to be careful when dealing with it, as it's glass fibers, so using power saws will throw a lot of fiberglass dust into the air and all over your skin, but it's very tough. I cut a couple notches where the roof rack feet go on the rear support bar, and then used a hammer to try and break them out, the hammer just bounced off of it.
Then just black spray paint. Not the prettiest paint job, but I don't spend much time looking at the ceiling either.

If I remember correctly the government cost sticker said it was around $140 per sheet.

0162dff8dbf61a05d02b7ec6bcad76db631c187b-1.jpg

McSpeed

Here is where I am so far. I painted BOTH sides of the plywood - the top is with a deck paint that is super weather resistant. I used RV style butyl tape along the windshield header and on the B pillar roof bar. I only put TWO screws in it through the rear B pillar and will see what needs to be done going forward. There is a lot of movement between the windshield and roll bar so this way it is attached, but can float and move. Was a bit tricky to pull the canvas back over. Granted my canvas is very old and tired. I have to do some more clean up. I've very happy with getting the speaker box/tube off the floor. WAY more room. And my ultra bright interior lighting has more projection here. This is a blue tooth speaker system that also has an AUX port plug. I originally bought it off Amazon. It has two 8" woofers with tweeters built into the speaker cover. I just removed them and the electronic part and moved over to the wood box. It works great. The nice part is is connects quickly to my phone and the phone is on a magnet mount that is super easy to see and access. Let us have tunes and no worries for any sort of a radio receiver. I also have an old Ipod I can put in on the aux and it is all compact then and removable.

1 roof humvee.jpg
2 roof  humvee.jpg
3 roof humvee.jpg
4 roof humvee.jpg
5 roof humvee.jpg
6 roof humvee.jpg

fpchief

Here is where I am so far. I painted BOTH sides of the plywood - the top is with a deck paint that is super weather resistant. I used RV style butyl tape along the windshield header and on the B pillar roof bar. I only put TWO screws in it through the rear B pillar and will see what needs to be done going forward. There is a lot of movement between the windshield and roll bar so this way it is attached, but can float and move. Was a bit tricky to pull the canvas back over. Granted my canvas is very old and tired. I have to do some more clean up. I've very happy with getting the speaker box/tube off the floor. WAY more room. And my ultra bright interior lighting has more projection here. This is a blue tooth speaker system that also has an AUX port plug. I originally bought it off Amazon. It has two 8" woofers with tweeters built into the speaker cover. I just removed them and the electronic part and moved over to the wood box. It works great. The nice part is is connects quickly to my phone and the phone is on a magnet mount that is super easy to see and access. Let us have tunes and no worries for any sort of a radio receiver. I also have an old Ipod I can put in on the aux and it is all compact then and removable.

View attachment 809540
View attachment 809541
View attachment 809542
View attachment 809543
View attachment 809544
View attachment 809545
Excellent!!! On your top, mine was old and tired like yours and I found a brand new 2 man top for around $200.00 off ebay.

McSpeed

Excellent!!! On your top, mine was old and tired like yours and I found a brand new 2 man top for around $200.00 off ebay.
That's a great deal! I found a new one from a vendor for $290...VERY tempting...but was able to heat and stretch and pull this back...and I also rubbed it down with some wool wax that made it look new and will repel water for a while that way too.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks