• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Plywood ?

Kora

Hello, I have a question.
A sheet of plywood under the soft top, what good does it do?
Is it worth? If it is what is the right way to do it?
Kora

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It prevents the soft top from sagging onto your head. It also provides a mounting point for speakers for the radio set to get them off the transmission hump.

The best way that I've seen it, without doing a bunch of custom work, is to slide it in from the c-pillar support towards the front. You need to make sure you un-attach all the hold downs of the soft top onto the cross bars. you'll want to orient it so that the long part of the plywood goes the longer length of the vehicle, not the width. You can make custom setups, but for a simple 4'x8' sheet, that's how I've seen it.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It prevents the soft top from sagging onto your head. It also provides a mounting point for speakers for the radio set to get them off the transmission hump.

The best way that I've seen it, without doing a bunch of custom work, is to slide it in from the c-pillar support towards the front. You need to make sure you un-attach all the hold downs of the soft top onto the cross bars. you'll want to orient it so that the long part of the plywood goes the longer length of the vehicle, not the width. You can make custom setups, but for a simple 4'x8' sheet, that's how I've seen it.
I've been thinking of using plywood and studs so my ambulance top can go on and look normal from outside without the expense of buying the right pillars and nonexistant bows on the back....... Thanks for your service bikeman.

Action

I thought the bows stop the top from sagging on your head. If yours sags that much, you may want to look for a new one.

Kora

Thank you for your input.
Kora

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been thinking of using plywood and studs so my ambulance top can go on and look normal from outside without the expense of buying the right pillars and nonexistant bows on the back....... Thanks for your service bikeman.

A memeber here on SS has the correct M1035 soft top ambiance C-pillars for sale...you can make the rear bows from 3/4 metal electrical conduit.

Action

I have a piece of plywood between the driver and passenger and another piece between the rear passengers.

Anyone know what those are for?
Are they screwed to the metal between the seats? Or up above you, under the softtop?
If on the tunnel top, they are just insulation boards. If they are under the top, they are firewood.

Maple Leaf Eh

I have the original 6-bar roll cage on my M151A2. The soft top is quite supple and not going to snug up any more on the straps. The rainwater ponds up there! I have used 550 cord lashed between the bars. I have used plastic Corplast panels (old election signs work well). And, I have tried a rectangle of 3/8" plywood.

Like saving money or being in love, the answer is Yes.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks