• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

PNW Info Thread!

srodocker

Took a bit for me to find a cover bonsai when I had my deuce. May have to buy a GMA cover if there still around or one from one of the big companies. Midwest military, eastern surplus, ect.

srodocker

Guys I want to do a ocean shores trip for lunch. I'll be bringing the kids whose down? New years day is a sunday this year that would be a fun tradition to do?

Loco_Hosa

It's going man, just getting to a point where I can enjoy my hobbies again. Wife and I recently moved to Ethel, which is cool.

How's the world treating you?

zanther

Who's got an MV and goes to Riverside Topsoil in Snohomish WA?

I had some dirt (26 yards) and tailings (26 yards ) delivered to my house. They were giving the dirt away free, just had to pay truck time. ($135 per truck and transfer trailer) x 2 trips. Mentioning the extra info incase anyone is looking for fill/tailings.

Anywho, both drivers mistakenly thought I was the guy down at their yard getting material frequently. My deuce would hate the highway 9 hill going southbound up into Clearview so it's definitely not me. They weren't sure if it was a deuce or a 5 ton.

Tons of fun

HI I am new to the MV thing and I just bought a 85 m923 5 ton from WA. I am having problems with registering it in OR. I took my WA title in to the DMV in Albany and they told me I should just take the truck back because I won't be able to get it registered in Oregon. They said they had received an email stating that if the military vehicle has 9 digits they are not to be registered in Oregon. Now what I am going to try a different DMV soon hopefully different results. If anyone know anything about this or has gone threw this any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Amer-team

It would be interesting to get a copy of that email. And see who is making that decision. It looks like you may be stuck in the VIN, Serial number morass.

I have been having a go around in WA on a 91 M923A2 and the vehicle inspector at the State Patrol told me that they don't register military vehicles in WA. I asked if he could direct me to the state law that says that and he couldn't. I also mentioned that I have 7 other former military vehicles that are registered, one having been registered for 30 years and he told me that they were illegally registered. I have also been trying to get a copy of the list of vehicles that they will not register such as M151's and Humvees. So far no luck on that either.

When they make a state law in WA, it goes back to the department for rule making. That is how the employees interpret the law. Their interpretation does not always come out with the same intent as the lawmakers had.

Read the regulations of the state, go to them calmly, and ask for direction to the rules or law that disallows the registration of this vehicle. If you are not looking for a commercial license you may be able to get an historic license for it. But you need to do some more research and be familiar with the local law. You might also try to contact someone from the Oregon Military Vehicle Collectors Club of Oregon. They may be able to give you some more directed tips on this subject. Good luck and keep us posted about your successful conclusion to this matter.

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am no lawyer, but I would ask when the 9 digit rule went into effect, and if the WA title was issued before then, see if it is grandfathered in. I guess I now need to go look and see if I have 9 digit VIN titles.

Also, welcome to the hobby & site. Good luck.

Sent from my Selectric Typewriter using lots of white out.

Last edited:

Hammer

When did the vehicles change to 9 digit vins?
BTW Peter, the courthouse DOL has the final say over the State Patrol.
That is how we registered the Alley Cat (MuttVee)

Amer-team

Hammer, you are right. Unfortunately this title request is for Title in doubt. I don't doubt the history of this vehicle, but since it does not have a state title yet, it has to go through the process. Which is, go to county, they give referral to State Patrol, SP verify's VIN number (our trucks have serial numbers), then back to the county to start paperwork.

On the SP website, a VIN number is a unique serial number to a vehicle. I mentioned that to the inspector, saying if A=B, then doesn't B=A? He said we don't interpret it that way. I will get it, but have to be patient. I have a leaky inner axel seal that needs to be replaced before I drive it too far. Think I will try a different inspection point next. Don't want to really mess with my local person as I may need to use them again.

I did look up the VIN question and it seems like it was somewhere in the early 70's, so that means that any vehicle before that couldn't be inspected because they don't have a long enough VIN.

On a side note look up WAC 46.16A.435 This is to get an intermittent use license on a trailer. I have been licensing my military trailers every year. This license may let us license them once.

zanther

http://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=46.16A.428

Do you mean this section?

[h=4]RCW 46.16A.428[/h]

[h=4]Intermittent-use trailers—Permanent registration—Penalty—License plates—Definition—Rules. (Effective January 1, 2017.)[/h]

(1) A trailer in good working order that has a scale weight of two thousand pounds or less and is used only for participation in club activities, exhibitions, tours, and parades, and for occasional pleasure use, is considered an intermittent-use trailer and may be issued a permanent registration. To be eligible to receive a permanent registration, the registered owner of the intermittent-use trailer must:
(a) Apply for a permanent registration with the department, county auditor or other agent, or subagent appointed by the director; and
(b) Pay the fee required under RCW 46.17.345.
(2) A trailer with a permanent registration under this section is exempt from annual registration renewal under RCW 46.16A.110.
(3) The permanent registration under this section expires when the trailer changes ownership, is permanently removed from the state, or is otherwise disposed of.
(4) A person in violation of this section is subject to a traffic infraction with a maximum fine of one hundred fifty dollars including all other applicable assessments and fees.
(5) An intermittent-use trailer:
(a) Must display a standard license plate;
(b) Is not eligible for personalization; and
(c) May not display a special license plate.
(6) In lieu of displaying a standard issue license plate required in subsection (5)(a) of this section, a person applying for a permanent registration under this section may apply to the department to display a license plate that was issued by the department the year that the intermittent-use trailer was manufactured.
(7) For purposes of this section, "occasional pleasure use" means use that is not general or daily, but seasonal or sporadic and not more than once per week on average. "Occasional pleasure use" does not mean (a) being held for rent to the public or (b) use for commercial or business purposes.
(8) The department may adopt rules to implement this section.
[ 2015 c 200 § 1.]
NOTES:
Effective date2015 c 200: "This act takes effect January 1, 2017." [ 2015 c 200 § 5.]

Amer-team

Yup! That is the one. We may be able to license the small jeep and humvee trailers under this one. I usually don't tow those trailers more than twice a year.

zanther

Side note, did any one get to the Foss Estate sale in Magnolia this past weekend, looked like they had a full 105 trailer and 8 or so 105 boxes.

srodocker

Didnt even know about the estate sale.

I know when I do try to register my trailer for the year it always comes up stolen by they know me by now and just give me my tabs. Granted I havent done it in maybe 3 years now ha!

I would ask Josh about the titleing thing in oregon as he just did it recently.

Amer-team

I haven't tried it yet and of course no one at DOL ever said anything about it. But it looks like it will work for our single axle small trailers. There is a gross weight limit on it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks