• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

PNW Info Thread!

Hello to all in Washington and Oregon. It's good to be back on line again and participating on SteelSoldiers. We are planning to come to the event this summer. We will be in the Seattle area in May for a cruise up the Inside Passage to Alaska. We have a new 2014 Flagstaff 5th wheel manufactured by Forest River and looking forward to visiting all again. Elkhunter

IsaLandr

Tartaned Goði
Joelstevens21: I'm new to this forum and to Military Vehicle ownership, but fortunately I just had this conversation with a nice clerk down at the Department of Licensing in Chehalis, WA. They were most helpful and informative. I will share what I was told, but I make no guarantees as to its accuracy, only that this is what I was told by the clerk:

In order to register one of these, you have several routes you can take. You can register it as a full Commercial truck, requiring a class-specific driver's license, which if you're ever going to use it for hire or to carry big loads on a regular basis, is the correct route to take, and which requires full commercial tags and associated weight fees. Or you can register it as a farm truck non-exempt, which gets you some reductions on your fees, but also places some limitations on what you can do with it. Both of those can be relatively expensive because they are entirely weight-based. The commercial tags are yearly, and range in the hundreds of dollars. The farm non-exempt is on a month-to-month or seasonal basis, and is paid for accordingly, with a sizable discount from the normal commercial fees. The major advantage of the farm non-exempt registration is that it doesn't require a class-specific driver's license.

There is also a farm exempt registration, which is only $9 for lifetime, but places serious restrictions on what you can do with the truck and how far you can drive it from its home registered address (25 mile radius), and so forth. That's what we're going to do with ours this year. When you need to exceed the distance limitations on this registration, you can get a trip permit which costs $25 and allows you three consecutive days of operation and is valid for 30 days from the date of purchase. We just used one of these to bring Biff's Evil Twin Skippy over from Yakima last Thursday.

The last option is registering it as a collector's vehicle, which requires the payment of one full year's normal registration fees, plus a $35 one time fee, and results in a lifetime registration. However, this one places significant restrictions on how often it can be driven, how far, under what circumstances, and precludes ever carrying any kind of cargo in the bed. Not very useful for anything but a parade or display vehicle. I don't think you can get trip permits when you have this registration.

There are insurance issues involved with all of these, but that's between you and your carrier. Some carriers will cover these, some will not. Some of those who will cover them require them to be covered under a commercial policy even if that's not how they're going to be registered or used. Check with your carrier to make sure what you'll have to do. Expect it to be relatively expensive.

I'm not an expert on this subject, I can only relate what I was told. I hope this helps, and if anything I've stated here is found to be in error, I sincerely apologize in advance.

FullSpecial

I had a relatively easy experience, only took two tries. Closest place to me is Quick Stop Licensing. Had to find the right teller
that had done one before, even then he didn't like the SF97 as it showed GL selling it to themselves. After calling Olympia and
consulting with them he rammed it threw the system. I made sure he knew it was a private toy, not commercial. Still was charged
tonnage to 34k. Without looking at the registration I want to say it was $465 for all the fees, New Title, tonnage and their cut.

srodocker

SOO YEA!!! Mini rally...was thinking the weekend after the superbowl. The sunday which would be the 9th. Maybe having a mini rally at my house to work on my truck and I will provide burgers and coffee. how does that sound?

yelloeye

SOO YEA!!! Mini rally...was thinking the weekend after the superbowl. The sunday which would be the 9th. Maybe having a mini rally at my house to work on my truck and I will provide burgers and coffee. how does that sound?
Sounds like a good time to me. Newbies welcome? I work that day until 3 but can swing in after and am more than happy to turn a wrench.

srodocker

Feb 9th Ed. Weekend after the hawks win the super bowl!

If anyone is interested in coming MSG me for a address. We are also on facebook. PNW Steel Soldiers. We post more frequently on there.

drician

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Feb 9th Ed. Weekend after the hawks win the super bowl!If anyone is interested in coming MSG me for a address. We are also on facebook. PNW Steel Soldiers. We post more frequently on there.
I tried joining the Book of Face group quite a while ago, and I was never appoved to join. Do I need to send a message as well to be accepted?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks