• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pointers for M1078 off roading ?

1951M1078

Going out to do some training with my M1078. This will be a off road thing. Do you guy's have any pointers ? Nothing crazy just some Jeep / Side by side trails.
And yes I have towing ! LOL

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Stay away from mud pits it dosnt usually work out. Jeep trails are sometimes narrow and m1078 is not. Around here you would end up stuck between 2 trees. If an area is in question, walk it and evaluate before you drive thru it. Keep another one around to pull you out. And make us a good video.

1951M1078

No swamps, no trees,don't get stuck,have a VTR ready.

CTIS = Good question ? Did a quick search. Not much on a start up test. Will need to look at the TM's.
Check tire pressures and have about 55 to 65 all around. Have some old tires. Filled them up to 85 for a trip to a show.Now their at this reading. Does that mean the CTIS made a adjustment when it saw high ? Or just leaking down? Also have a over speed some times on the dash.Tires seem to hold over time.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Over speed tells controller your going faster than you should be for tire setting and if driver don't correct it within a certain time the controller will automatically take it to the correct tire pressure.

sargentwolf

If fording water or driving through mud, turn off the fan BEFORE hitting the water. Set your tires for cross country mode, your spine will thank you. Grease the cab support pins and latch, your ears will thank you. Grease every joint before going and when completed to drive out any water/sand. Fold up the mud flaps, there's a little hook on the support to hook em on. Basic toolkit.

ALWAYS STRAIGHT UP AND DOWN HILLS. These things roll at around 20° cross slope.

I was told the exact opposite for the cab supports, keep em full, otherwise you risk breaking something or hurting your back.

snowtrac nome

I've briefly looked at the tm I haven't seen it yet if so I would have to run with pins in all the time. it makes sense to run with pins out so things can flex . as stated grease cab supports and latch and wash out brakes after mud running. that's why they are open back. lastly have fun mine spends a lot of time off road and I now think functioning ctis is the greatest thing ever developed one thing you should remember at high speeds wash board roads can rip the steering wheel from your grip.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's the problem that cab and air lift bags should not be flexed side to side if you will look you cannot pin the cab with it down.

buffalorunner

I would say you are going to have a great time, air down your tires as low as CTIS will allow at your current speed (sand or xc) for increase in comfort and traction. Being able to fold the mirrors before you get in the "thick of it" is helpful. I have pushed mine all the way forward on narrow trails and it works ok. I have used a set of tire chains to get moving off snotty ground by just lying them on the ground in front of the tires (similar to a traction mat).
With the cab pinned you are in for a really stiff ride, and asking to break one of the "pin tabs". The truck is designed for "military use" and we have run all our trucks without pinning the cab (only doing so when shipping or trailer-ing). I did like the previous suggestion, I would say bring the grease gun with you in case any squeaking comes on once on the trail as well.

buffalorunner

Yeah, it definitely was. It was the start of "mud" season in New England and I had driven that route across a softer patch in the meadow all winter. I used some poor judgment that day. I did my best not to spin at first, but eventually the truck was up to the axle up front (front driver step was at ground level). I tried using the neighbors tractor to pull it out, and after we got that stuck (I know right), we called a tail hook rig. He had to winch most of the way to me because the meadow was starting to thaw more and the weight of his truck was breaking through the first inch of thaw turning the ground to soup. After he winched me out, I hooked him up and pulled him back to asphalt. I jumped out of the truck, walked to the door, and said "that will $100 for tow." haha. Being that he lived less than 3 miles down the road, he only charged me the fee to leave the yard.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks