• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pointers for M1078 off roading ?

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is desert. I probably even have a pretty good idea where you're going - we took Janet's jeep there.

There's a stream, but it's sand bottomed. There's also dry washes with very soft sand. You want your tires at like 15psi and don't stop....

Ideally you want another equally capable vehicle to go with you, because it's certain that you won't randomly run across anything that can pull you out ...

Last edited:

1951M1078

The spot is just North of Bell Rd.and El Mirage. Think it's the Aqua Fria river bed. Nothing very hard. Not that I can't get her stuck. Just going to see what she will do in general ?
Going to setup the GoPro's just for fun.

And its only 20 min's from the shop.

sargentwolf

@Coffey1, Id like to chime in on the pin thing one last time. I remembered seeing something in the PS archives one night and found it.

https://www.logsa.army.mil/psmag/archives/PS2011/707/707-11.pdf

Bags inflated at all times except when air transporting or doing maintenance.

Back on topic.

Ive done a run over sand in mine at a local off road park. Was in XC mode and did fine, not a single problem. But YMMV.

Last edited:

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
@Coffey1, Id like to chime in on the pin thing one last time. I remembered seeing something in the PS archives one night and found it.

https://www.logsa.army.mil/psmag/archives/PS2011/707/707-11.pdf

Bags inflated at all times except when air transporting or doing maintenance.

Back on topic.

Ive done a run over sand in mine at a local off road park. Was in XC mode and did fine, not a single problem. But YMMV.

Not all sand is created equal. Most of the sand in the AZ desert is reasonably fine and well compacted. Walking on it is no problem and neither is driving. Many of the roads are on this type of sand. Riding a bicycle on this stuff is fine.

Then there's what they call washes. They flash flood impressively deep and fast, but most of the time they're dry. These tend to be coarser sand, very loosely packed. Walking on it is difficult. Riding a bicycle is impossible. And driving on it you run a real risk of sinking and getting stuck.

Janet's jeep has 35x12.5 tires, I had them aired down, 3.73's and electronic lockers. There was several places where I was slowly spinning all 4 but still moving. I think if I had stopped it would have been an adventure getting out.

( in used to live near St Louis. Busch Wildlife was always a good place to play....)

Edit - here, let me pollute your thread with some pics of Janet's jeep in the AZ desert...

20170409_162731.jpg

20170409_153452.jpg

20170409_153313.jpg

Last edited:

sargentwolf

What part of AZ? Used to be stationed at Fort Huachuca...I miss playing in the washes......there was a great one by Benson along the riverbed.

Didnt know there was a off road park there. Ill check it out.

1951M1078

Yep !

Also was thinking about the run up to the first mesa,going to Crown King the back way ? After that the truck is just to big. I don't want to take the chain saw. LOL
Maybe some running around the North end of Lake Pleasant ? But that is a little far for a first test.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Phoenix, Tucson.... I took welding classes in Sierra Vista.

1951M1078, you may want to consider a day trip to Mt Lemmon. Run up the back side control road(PepperSauce Canyon). It's more than a path, less than a road. It's rough enough to be interesting without being a real risk of getting stuck...

Here, let me pollute with pics from Mt Lemmon....

20140802_152828.jpg

20140802_154816.jpg

Last edited:

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok Sargent I went and read the article and no where in it mentions pinning the cab.
It states that bags should be inflated at all times.
A few posts back I said you cannot pin cab in the down configuration.
Again the tms say to pin cab so I will be pinning mine when off rd! At nearly 200 bucks plus time to change I won't risk tearing my bags up.

DiverDarrell

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Article says this There’s only one situation whenyou need to de ate the air springs,and that’s when you’re preparingyour FMTV for air transport. Soleave ‘em alone at all other times.
And the tabs you pin for air transport break off if pinned while driving, most are bent and broken anyways

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
1951 sorry about hijacking your thread you guys do what you want end of pin debate.
1951 go have fun try not to get stuck if I was closer I come pull you out anytime.

Reworked LMTV

Pointers:
1. Check your bank balance
2. Check your towing insurance
3. Alert closest SS buddies to the fact that you may need a pull :tank::tank:
4. Air up the spare
5. Get a winch, even if it's the HF 18,000 lb one
6. Bring h2o to rinse off muddy parts
7. Check the depth of what you are about to ford
8. NO CHAINS, get the appropriate tow line / rope

Last edited:

pkl2fly

fixer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have fun. I've tooled around th S end of Anza Borrego quite a bit both in washes and mostly trails and some open sand/scrub. Mostly I use X-C on CTIS and Mode on shifter. I find using the transmission shifting up and down to be the best method of controlling speed going over the more difficult sections of trail ie. boulders etc. If you are uncertain stop, get out and look or put a spotter out to watch. I also invested in some CTIS covers since I have scraped the wheels on washouts a couple of times. They are cheap insurance and available on ebay. My take on these truck is that they handle the sand amazingly well, I don't have any experience in the mud, and limited experience in the snow - the axle drags in anything deeper than about 14inches...

As for CTIS, I set to X-C about 1/2 mile before I leave the pavement so the ride on the washboard isn't pronounced. As stated by others the CTIS has a speed limit for each mode and X-C is 40 if memory serves me. 35 is usually fast enough and always faster than just about anyone else except pre-runners.

The one item maybe not listed above is sand planks, but the stock tires dig so well that I doubt you'll have a need for them...head out he window to see front tires and mirrors to see if rears are spinning and keep moving through the soft stuff - only stop on firm stuff.

Have fun.

R/Paul

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks