• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pointers on drill bit sharpening, pls

Verkstad

Cant beat a Drill Doctor for its low price and the wanker-ish holes we need to create with twistdrills. Otherwise you can spend couple grand for a precision grindingmachine devoted to drillsharpening.
As most of us guys I can sharpen by hand sort-of good, But unless its dire immediate need, its not worth the effort.
As I understand there are a few DrillDoctor models, One more professional than the others.
Unless you NEED ultraprecision I think D-D is worth it.
Mvh,
Jakob

Jake0147

Drill doctors are not magic. Plan on a little practice. Not too much though. After that, it's quick and easy and painless. Even on a bad day. A very, very recommendable product. Re-splitting or converting to split points is priceless if you're working with metal.

'48Chevy6

+1 on the Drill Dr. Although it is not entirely foolproof, it is pretty easy. I messed up one or two bits before I got it right but was then able to correct my mistake. You won't regret buying it.

Zach

toddm

I guess I have to say it too, Drill Doctor is the way to go. I have had mine for 5 years or more and it is easy to use and quick. I still have to sharpen the 1" and bigger by hand and after 5 years I finally got the hang of that.

68t

Yes , The good old drill doctor is the only way. If i break a drill bit, I will grind to a new point with my grinder. then put in the drill doc. just as good as new. I think i got mine at Lowe,:beer:

tm america

the best advise i can give you is get you a book call the engineers black book from granger..it's about 10 bucks and has the charts for what drill angle-speed for every type of material.. it comes with a really handy drill bit sharping gauge that lists the basic angles right on it...Also get the pocket ref book from them to it has tons of useful charts from weights of different types of metals to pressures needed to punch holes in steel you name it it has it...
mild steel=118 high tensile steel =130-135,stainless=130-135,tough steel=135-140,aluminium=118,brass-bronze=118,cast iron=118,plastics=118,hard rubber-fibre=60 ....

These books list the angles of bits for cutting and milling .and Bend radius of different thickness metals ..

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks