• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Points gap?

kc5mzd

Not sure on that truck but on all the points cars I used to work on I would gap them at about the thickness of a matchbook. Some times I would have to tweek them after the engine was started if it didn't idle smooth or didn't have enough power.

rlwm211

I did some research and found the REO 6 cylinder uses a Delco distributer. Older Chevy inline six cylinder engine specification calls for a points gap of .019 thousandths. I would venture that .020 would be a good place to start. If your points are too tight the engine will not want to run up to full rpm and will seem to "flatten out". If they are too wide you can get a hesitation, or even a stuimble.

Set your timing after the points are set. I would disconnect and plug the vacuum advance and set the timing at 0 degrees. If it seems to be sluggish, move the timing to 6 before Top dead center BTDC and see if it runs ok. Too far advanced and you get a stumble or a pop, and possibly pre-ignition knock. Set your idle when the timing is close, and then recheck your timing.

With a big truck engine you can set to very moderate settings as the engine runs at very steady speeds and is not run at high RPMS as opposed to engines in use these days.

Let me know if these settings work out.

Just my two cents

RL

kc5mzd

I did some research and found the REO 6 cylinder uses a Delco distributer.
RL
If your truck uses a Delco distributor I would strongly consider checking to see if you can swap it out for a GM HEI distributor. I used to swap those out in old GM products. The HEI is electronic with everything contained inside the distributor, just hook up one wire to +12v off your first battery (and a switch of course) and you are good to go! It is VERY reliable and they are fairly easy to find.

jatonka

taken from TM9-8022 page 362, point gap is a misprint, but means..... .022 "
plug gap....................... .o30
timing........ 4 degrees BTDC

Delco Remy dist # 1111556

Brian Thomas

Got it! saved it! Thank you for the info. As for the HEI, thats not what I want. I really like the old system with the bullet proof wires and the neat contained dist. I like the way it all looks when you drop the hodd sides, it means military.

Last edited:

rlwm211

Geesh John.... I went through all the TM's looking for "the right one" (downloaded at least 6 to look through them) and could not find it so I went to finding out what distributor is in the truck (Delco) and then found some "basic settings".

Leave it to you to have the one TM (probably memorized) that is not here....Dang....:wink:

Well, I tried, and I know I was close.....

Every day I learn something too!

RL

Brian Thomas

For as much as the truck will see the highway. The points will work great. I have done the
Pertronix in my Packard hot rod and am pleased with the results but I will keep them in mind if the money is there and I need a change.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks