• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Polarizing Prestolite generator

linuxjoergen

Hi

I have searched the forum before posting this. I know that it has been discussed several times. But I'm looking into how to polarize this specific generator...

https://picasaweb.google.com/102485965599153388520/Deuce#5733154942027588114

It has this plug:
https://picasaweb.google.com/102485965599153388520/Deuce#5733155081356924274

The short question is: Which terminal should have 24V+ for a short amount of time?

The terminal with most resistance to ground is the bottom left one. It's over 20ohm.
The two others have a resistance of roughly 6 ohms.

The two with low resistance generates only +1V DC when the engine is running. The bottom left one I can't measure any DC current on.

The car has been standing without batteries for an extended amount of time. This is why I think it only needs to be polarized.

Im not familure with the prestolite but my car sat for a while and i had to polarize my alt to get it workin. On that its the skiny wire that clips on that needs to be jumped it is the only input everything else is an output so i would start with checking the voltage of the terminals on the wire that plugs into that connection

rlwm211

Try this site. Vern has been at it for a long time and is somewhat familiar with military vehicles as well as the older willys varieties.

Generator Polarization

Vern is a funny fellow also. I think you will find your answer here.

tstone

There is a very simple way to polarize a vehicle charging generator or one of the older brush type military or commercial gen sets if you have a little time. If you take a permanent magnet (I used 2 from a set of old speakers) and place 1 on the outside of the gen housing adjacent to each of the internal coils and let them set overnight; the iron in the coils will re-magnetize from the permanent magnet. When you start the vehicle, or gen set, do not load the generator or the field voltage will immediately collapse. Let the generator run for a few minutes and with a volt meter attached, the load output voltage will slowly increase to the operating voltage. I've used this techinique on several old sets that I salvaged and was able to get field voltage after about 3 minutes of running. Slowly increase a load to the set to be sure that the field coil voltage remains strong. If you operate one of these sets every 6 months or so the magnetic field should not fade. This technique will eliminate the possibility of damaging the field coils of the generator if you are not sure of the procedures of polarizing the generator with a DC current.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks