• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Police V-100 Tire & Wheel question

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good news on the tires/wheels. [thumbzup]

I see only one battery, converted to 12v? They put a LOT of glass on that vehicle!

Please keep us updated on how you fix it up for service.

Cheers

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I imagine that since yours is set up to be operated 'buttoned up", all that glass would make a big difference. I drive mine around the farm in the "driver low" position sometimes for fun, don't want to try it in traffic!
Stock V visibility is better than you would think from looking at it from outside, because the thick glass gives a slightly panoramic view, but nowhere near what is needed for safety on the street.

Cheers

baseballump

I can't remember any time we drove our Vs in the driver down position in Nam. Even if it was raining we were up because you couldn't see out those little windows. We did have either sunglasses on our helmets with shields on them. We ducked down low But you got rained on big time.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I drove the V in the rain coming back from the Burnet airshow a few weeks ago, wasn't a lot of fun! Someone asked about how the windshield wipers worked, I demonstrated by wiping my finger across my goggles!

Cheers

Sergeant21112

Our V100 was dropped off at the paint shop this morning (with a gps tracking unit installed of course). Should have a picture posted this Friday if weather cooperates. The tires are scheduled to arrive this afternoon. They are 2.7" smaller in diameter; however, five brand new Michelin XZL 395/85R20 at no cost (Inc. shipping) was the best deal we could find. I will keep my eyes open for new 14.00R20 but the smaller tires will be just fine for now. After the paint, graphics, and tires are installed we will take it to Whelen who will have it for a few days to install the emergency lighting and siren equipment.

I do have a question. Is there a mechanics guide of any kind available for this vehicle? Our mechanic inquired if I could obtain ANYTHING about the preventative maintenance and/or servicing of the drivetrain and fluid change. He has some experience working on our fire departments military trucks used for brush trucks; however, he was asking for a technical guide or service manual (I admit he did wish me luck as he laughed) to make his job faster. The vehicle is scheduled to go in for preventative maintenance the first week of July so any response or helpful advice before then would be great.
Thank you

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The manual for the V100, TM 9-2320-245-24, is often available on Ebay and other places on the net; useful but not particularly good compared to other military manuals. There is also a -24P parts manual that is quite useful.

The engine is an M75, which is just a militarized 361 Chrysler. Parts are available at Napa and other stores. Napa also has the brake booster.

Cheers

Sergeant21112

2013-06-28 13.48.05.jpg

2013-06-28 11.02.52.jpg
Paint, tires and ram installed.
Still looking for manuals. No luck on Ebay. I tried two military TM distributors with no luck. If anyone comes across one on Ebay or know of a source please let me know. City mechanic said it would be helpful.

Last edited:

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I sent you a PM with some info and some links (since we cannot post links to active auctions on the site).

Cheers

Sergeant21112

DuckHole.jpg
Question ... this is a picture of our V100 engine compartment with the interior panels removed. Our mechanic inquired the original purpose for the hole seen in the picture? It is on the panel too so I’m sure it effects the engine noise inside and radiator air flow. Thank you in advance for the answer.
:not worthy:

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Like Louie said, it is where the slave receptacle goes, for providing external power for jump starts, etc. The little slot next to it is where the master electrical power switch should be.
Attached pictures should give a good idea of what should be there.

Just FYI, the engine will begin to overheat fairly rapidly if run with the panels off for long.

One thing that helps keep the operating temperature down, particularly when idling, is opening the front radiator panel (red arrow in pic 2 attached). I learned that trick from Louie (Baseballump) and the other guys who drove these in Vietnam.

If you have the hull side doors closed, it also sucks air past the driver through his roof hatch, at a surprisingly high rate, which aids in cooling him (her?). For us in the southern states, this can be important!

Cheers

PS - the reduction in size of pic 1 blurred it out some, if its not clear enough I will go take a better one to illustrate.

Attachments

Last edited:

Sergeant21112

DuckSN.jpg
10676 is our serial number!

I really want to thank all of you who have been so helpful and forthcoming with technical assistance and genuine support. It is because of that knowledge and support that will make this versatile vehicle a true asset to the department. Serving country and community for over 40 years!
I hope I do not wear out my welcome since I anticipate I will be posting questions concerning technical issues and soliciting opinions for modifications.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ask away, that's why the site is here! I learned a lot from this site, and made some good friends, while I was rebuilding my V100.

Cheers

baseballump

I don't know much. But, this I do know Rory will help you as much as he can. He put a lot a time, effort and money into rebuilding his V. When he was done it was done right. Myself and 3 others who drove V,s in Nam got to go look at it and as luck would have it he let us have a little time behind the wheel. It was great. It was like no time had passed ( Only 40 + years).
So I am sure anything he can help with he will.

Sergeant21112

MVC-039F.jpg2013-05-30 14.06.25.jpgSide.jpg
The first picture is of our V100 in 2004 at Fort Meade, MD DRMO by Broward County Sheriff's Office staff (they declined the vehicle). The second picture shows our V100 recently after being restored and used by the Citrus County Sheriff's Office from 2004 to 2013. The third picture shows our V100 as it sits today.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks