• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Politics and The Hobby...

readyman

DD, I don't think it's local, as much as Fed. But it's attack from both ends.

The supply source.
The Clintons had to liquidate $25 Million in stocks ownership (incl the GL parent company stock?) recently. If elected will there be as much motivation for her to shrink the military again if there is no direct profit motive for her in the gov't liquidations?
Anyway, how could we possibly outbid the exporters who are paying more?
How about Restrict those exports...but
The exports are necessary for a higher bid(profit) for GL. The sticking point seems to be classified stuff.
GL's answer was to destroy everything so thus, everything could be exported. less work +more profit

Then the local licensing and titling issues.

This is going the same way as 'gun control', but we haven't got a 2nd ammendment for military vehicles. Fed and local, and who knows... UN global warming issues. :?

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
readyman said:
DD, I don't think it's local, as much as Fed.
Agreed - but a lot of these local politicians know the next level up in the food chain, and the next, and the next.

I don't know Lamar Alexander (my U.S. senator) - but I am on a first-name basis with a local mayor, who is on a first name basis with him.

If I am worried that my HMVs are going to be confisicated, I'll go to the mayor, and ask him to call on my behalf.

I have gotten calls back from elected representatives to the US congress using this method. I've yet to get a call back from signing a petition, or posting on an internet message board.

My .02,
David Doyle

gmayor

Having been a local city councilman for 4 years followed by 8 years (1997-2005) as a mayor of St. Robert, MO outside Fort Leonard Wood I can say you probably are places that you can access your officials. With the Veterans Day parades coming, get your vehicle in the parade, then while everyone is arriving to get started approach your elected officials to get a picture with you by your vehicle. Small talk develops, which opens the door each time after to get your point across in a friendly way. Don't forget to mention all the parts you buy locally, fuel, paint, etc. Just plant seeds to future conversations. They may even want to ride in your vehicle the next parade!

Blythewoodjoe

If any of you guys are serious about making a difference you must realize you will have to spend less time doing the things you want to do and more time kissing political booty. I have known the head of the republican party for my state all my life. I have been meaning to spend some time working with the group not because I am a republican zombie but because people will do things for people they know. I don't know if next week will every come (that's when I plan to do what ever it is I need to do) but if it does I plan to get involved in politics. It's a dirty business. We had a few good people on our county council but they didn't run for re-election because of the BS they had to put up with. I know this, if we just stand by and watch we will continue to lose the things we hold dear.

Babbling idiot, Joe Trapp

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
gmayor said:
Having been a local city councilman for 4 years followed by 8 years (1997-2005) as a mayor of St. Robert, MO outside Fort Leonard Wood I can say you probably are places that you can access your officials. With the Veterans Day parades coming, get your vehicle in the parade, then while everyone is arriving to get started approach your elected officials to get a picture with you by your vehicle. Small talk develops, which opens the door each time after to get your point across in a friendly way. Don't forget to mention all the parts you buy locally, fuel, paint, etc. Just plant seeds to future conversations. They may even want to ride in your vehicle the next parade!
This is exactly what I am talking about!

Regards,
DD

gbooth

A few years back I hauled a local representive and the governors rep in a Veterans day parade. When we here in Kansas needed to get the law amended for our MV's I called the state rep ( he wasn't even my rep) and explained what we were trying to do. He remembered me and thought that it was a worthy fight and would help rally support to our cause. I also had the same conversation with my rep he allowed that he was a Desert Storm Veteran and would also help with this.

Contacts devolved by using our vehicles is a great way to gain support. The person that you haul in your vehicle may or may not be anybody important but they may know somebody who is.

co_rotorhead

Regarding "good guys". Someone brought this up before and it's really worth mentioning again. One of the best ways to be "good" is not to be "bad". In otherwords, while paying attention to and being pro-active towards politics and policy decisions, don't make ourselves targets either. Common sense stuff like: be responsible on the road, keep our vehicles safe and in good mechanical order, present a positive image in the community (parades, shows, veterans events and so forth). Even making your vehicles available to the local police, fire and rescue in case of natural disasters or whatever. While we are very comfortable with our vehicles, most people have never seen one before and are not at all familiar with them...let's face it can be very intimidating to have your Prius rear view mirror filled with a M35 bumper and winch - not that I'm not tempted :wink:.

Today. most people today do not personally know anyone in the military - this is very different than a generation or two ago. All they know is what they see on the news. The worst thing is to bring negative publicty resulting from just one instance of being careless or wreckless where someone is hurt or killed. MV's are very identifiable. Similar in a way to gun control - and even SUV's...it's the person not the weapon/vehicle that's the wack job. I used to tell my guys...what ever you do, think about what it would look like if it were on the news.

DMgunn

That is a very important point and cannot be stressed enough. Being "responsible" is worth a LOT. Just think about how the gun control people have feeding frenzies any time there is a gun-related multiple murder. The facts (about the type of weapon and how it was obtained) go right out the window, and are replaced by emotion. The exact same thing would happen in the event of any unfortunate event involving an MV with anything from brake failure to intentional reckless behavior.

FreightTrain

Banned
Vote for me!Too bad I am 5 years too young........but vote for me anyway!I am Pro-gun,Pro-MV,Pro-Vets,Pro-Life,pro-USA 1st everyone else do your own thing!,Anti-UN,Anti Welfare system,Screw the rest of the worlds problems.We have our own.If you truely want to change we will HELP you but we won't fight your freaking wars while you sit back and bitch but we also won't let you stab our buddies while their back is turned!

FreightTrain

Banned
oh yea,Not to mention.if your here legally,welcome,work hard,pay taxes,learn english,enjoy America!You here illegally.Your going home!even your kids that were born here!Parents illegal,kid illegal.NAFTA go bye bye.Reinstate import taxes on all imported goods.No more overseas stuff shipped into mexico then brought over the boarder free.If our stuff is banned from import into any country then that countries stuff is banned from import into OURS no matter where it came from.No building in one country,ship to a friendly country to be bounced here.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I think its great that "someone" feels strongly enough about something to act on it. So many people preach, but do nothing.

poppop

What I got back from My Senator

This is the reply I got back from my Senator four weeks after I e-mailed him. If it does not show up I once again failed in computor litericy.

FreightTrain

Banned
RE: What I got back from My Senator

ewwww,how much was the Vinyl for that sign?Will you sell me a set for my new deuce?I want to show my support for the ONLY choice in 08(Oh,who needs to google....Check my siggy for a direct link....)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks