• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Poll: Good All Round Clamp-On Meter

t5noel

It's time to invest in a clamp-on meter. What do you guys recommend for a good all around clamp-on meter?

Last edited:

Isaac-1

Depends on how much you want to spend, and if you want to measure things like inrush current for motor starting, etc. Having said that it is hard to go wrong with Fluke.

steelandcanvas

Depends on how much you want to spend, and if you want to measure things like inrush current for motor starting, etc. Having said that it is hard to go wrong with Fluke.
True story Ike. I suggested the Extech as a good all around, entry level clamp-on meter, as opposed to breaking the bank on a Fluke. I use nothing but Fluke at work, but then they buy what I ask for.

edgephoto

Fluke is the gold standard. Amprobe is also good. Most of my electrical test equipment is Fluke but for an clamp on meter I bought an Amprobe. Not really too worried if I am off a few milliamps.

Carl_in_NH

Ham radio flea markets are often a good source for a used one, and you'll like the price a lot better for one that's been cast off as surplus to someone's needs.

"If it works it's a Fluke" - can take that a couple of ways :)

Isaac-1

I like my Fluke 337a, it will do anything I ever need with a clamp meter, picked it up very lightly used on ebay a couple of years ago for about $150 around the time when the 330 series was replaced by the new 370 series. Took a while to find one that sold this cheap in this good of shape, but there are a lot of them sold on ebay and some go off cheap.

It compliments my Fluke 87 V multimeter very nicely, although if you just need a good all around electrical (not electronics) multi meter look at the Flue 117, has a handy built in voltage detector, and a Low Z voltage mode to help not get fooled by induced voltages.

Nonotagain

The Greenlee CM-600 is available for $65 via the big auction site.

I bought on a few years ago to compliment my Fluke 87 series vom's clamp attachments.

PeterD

I have something very similar to this https://new.grainger.com/product/AMPROBE-ClampOn-Ammeter-2AUZ9 (slightly older model...) which I chose as it has both DC and AC amp functionality (great for starter current draw testing, for example!) If you feel you don't need DC clamp-on then things get much cheaper--however once you have used one you'll wonder why you never had one in the past!

I recommend Amprobe, Extech and Fluke, all of which are good quality names. I don't know about Greenlee's model but I suspect it is also a good one. Uh, but maybe avoid HF if you want something good.

Personally, I'd expect to pay between $100 and $300 for a quality meter. I'd recommend looking at features, then budget, along with the brand names listed above and you should be happy.

s011883

I have the Greenlee CM-600 and love it. If you want a simple and dependable meter, this is the one for you. When I run my generator (MEP-003A) on my house I also use a (Kill A Watt EZ) plugged into a wall outlet so I can monitor the voltage and Hz just so I don't have to go outside to check.

PeterD

I'll (hopefully!) finish my posting to this thread by emphasizing that whatever clamp on meter you get, get one that handles both AC and DC current! That DC clamp-on capability is fantastic for checking and confirming starter current, validating the alternator output, etc. Once you've had a DC clamp-on meter, you'll wonder why you never had one before...