• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Poll - Who has done the Doghead Relay Conversion

Start Relay Conversion/Upgrade

• Yes - I have done the conversion

Votes: 328 60.6%
  • No - I don't plan on doing the conversion

Votes: 51 9.4%
  • No - I haven't done it but plan on doing it soon.

Votes: 162 29.9%

• Total voters

charlietango

Subjock, same thing happened to me 3 years ago and it started a wire fire under the hood. At the time I had a spare relay in the glove box and lucky enough scrounged up some wire to splice. Its been that way for 3 years now (still working fine) and funny enough I was just thinking about doing this conversion when it warmed up yesterday, assuming I had pushed my luck already waaaaaaaay too far.

00Buck

Did mine today after a friend called me on Wed frantically asking how to stop his starter from running. I knew right a way from reading here what was happening, but couldn't do anything to help him. It is still in the shop getting a new starter, relay, and repairing wiring. It costs me $16.50 for the relay from NAPA, and an hour to install. I was putting it off till spring, but that gremlin was just too close this time. Thanks Doghead for this detailed mod and to all of you who post questions and solutions for me to learn from.

M1911A1

Well after reading at length about the "doghead" relay swap it seemed to make a great deal of sense. On my way home from work this afternoon I stopped by the local parts house procured the proper relay and raced home to install it. When I got under the dash to remove and replace I found that the previous owner had already done the "doghead" fix! Wow, I think I'm gonna go buy a lotto ticket!:doghead:happy,happy,happy!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Read the sticky! It is linked in post #1 of this thread.

It is best to read first, post second.

marand9199

Wow, this thread been going now for a little over two years now. Just completed the DH rely mod today.
Bought my M1009 Sept 2012 and the guy hand just replaced the rely a year before that. after completing the mod I took the relay apart and found all kinds of corrosion inside. (See pics) I can see why these things can fail.
Thanks Doghead!IMG_0988.jpgIMG_0991.jpg

Dylan

I get my part tomorrow, as soon as I get my day off I'm going to install it.
I don't want to not do it and regret it later so I have put it off long enough.

Dylan

Now I got it done delayed it but its done so that's all that matters at the end. Real easy and simple to do.

At the same time I also thought my starter went but found out one of the bolts that held it broke and just had to get it out and replace it.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome NoQuarter. Please add you State to your user profile. It is a site requirement.

KORNDOG

I did it too. Found the part at sears, #146154. This "kit" comes with terminal nuts and a ground strap.
Since some guys were having trouble finding the Napa version.
REAL cheap insurance against killing a $200 dollar starter, and who knows what else!

Hoolio

I did it on my M 1031 after smoking up the Delco starter.. I went running for a 1/2" wrench to disconnect the battery cables .. After finding out the nuts were 9/16" , My starter was already roached.. Now I have disconnect switches on both batteries.. Did the relay swap and has worked great ever since.. Thanks , Roy

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks