• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Poor Man's Cargo Bows

3rdmdqm

One of my cargo bows recently broke in half. I can't seem to find anywhere to get just 5 bows to replace the old one's in my area and don't have a steam box to steam my own, so I came up with this cheap and easy fix using the below steps:

1) Draw a rectangle 75" long by 5" high on a flat surface (in this case my deck). This is the length and desired height of a bow.
2) Screw a 2 1/2" deck screw at each corner of the bottom edge of the rectangle leaving about 2" exposed.
3) Screw a 2 1/2" deck screw on the top edge of the rectangle in the center of the long line. (These screws create your jig)
4) I cut two strips of 4x8 OSB scrap I had lying around into 8 ft. strips each 2 3/8" wide.
5) Apply wood glue to one side of the strip of wood and using your finger or other tool spread the glue evenly covering the entire face of the wooden strip.
6) Place the two strips together gluing them together and place them between the screws (your jig). This will bow them to the correct dimension. Clamp the pieces together once in the jig tightly and let dry.
7) Let dry a minimum of 8 hours.
8) Remove from the jig and remove the clamps. It will retain it's bowed shape.
9) The edges will be rough, use sand paper or a sander to round/smooth the edges
10) Measure from the center 37 1/2" to each end and cut off the ends with a miter saw. This will give you a 75" bow which is what you want.
11) Install new bow on truck. Paint OD green if desired.

This cost me nothing and seems to be working well. Only time will tell of course, but for now it works. I think regular plywood would be much stronger than the OSB but I didn't have any of that lying around. The two strips of OSB wood glued together makes a perfect thickness of 7/8" - 1" just like the original oak bows.

Attachments

Amer-team

That is imaginative work. Good job. You have just made a small laminated beam. While I am not a fan of OSB for much of anything, you aren't generally putting much weight on top, unless you get some serious snow load on it. It should work fine for most instances. I took a fir 1x4 cut to proper dimensions and forced it into the side pockets, to eventually take on the proper bow due to the strain. That seemed to work okay, but not as quick and accurate as your method.

goldneagle

Good trick ! Though you should replace it with the original Oak as soon as possible as I don't know how much that bow would support.
I have worked with OSB and I agree it is not the best option for this application. It is very weak in narrow strips. It is also susceptible to water damage. If it is left out in the rain it will absorb the water and swell up badly with time. Once it swells up it is very fragile and weak.

If you can't steam a piece of wood in order to bend it you can laminate wood in narrow strips glued together with waterproof glue. 1/8" strips should bend enough for the bows curve.

You can take a 2 x 8 piece of lumber, draw the correct curve on it, cut the curve with a jigsaw, and use it as a mold to clamp the 1/8" veneer strips to it until the glue dries.

3rdmdqm

So I have experimented and upgraded this to plywood which seems much stronger than the OSB. The OSB bow I made is still holding up, but I'm replacing all of my bows with the following:

I bought a 4 x 8 sheet of 15/32" A/C plywood for $29, ripped it into strips 2 3/8 wide and was able to make 9 bows out of the 4 x 8 sheet. 9 bows for $29 bucks. I'm sanding the edges lightly to round them a bit and painting them OD green. Should last for a long long time. These really turned out great.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks