• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Poor man's water truck

bevanet

I Have a very steep rocky road to my rec property. It is rocky and the rocks (many of them are sharp) constantly kick up out of the road because people drive it with two wheel drives and spin on the way. I talked to a road expert who said it needed to be packed properly to help hold the rocks in. I had graded it and it lasted for a week before it was covered in rocks. I figured he was right but he wanted several thosand $$ to do the job. I got to thinking... I have an 813, a 1100 gal water tank and a pond. I bought a pump to fill the tank, and concocted a pvc pipe with holes in it to spread the water. The pump would fill the tank in about 7 minutes. The 813 weighs 22k, 1100 gals of water adds 8.8 k, and the 813 has a lot of tires on the ground to pack the dirt. We spread 3300 gallons on the road and went over it a few times. It looked really good, and was still in good shape 2 weeks later. Here is are pics of the set up. Overall a pretty easy system that I can use for several years instead of hiring it done. The 813 ran beautifully. The grade is 15 degrees or 26%. It would idle up forward or backward with the tank full of water. The 10 tires pushed the rocks into the mud so that they would stay, and packed the dirt nicely.

Attachments

Last edited:

truckdoctor

THat how we used to do roads and pads at a small construction company I worked at. The only difference between our tank and yours is that we built it to fit the truck specifically. THe KISS method works wonders.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks