• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Poor winch performance

ericp351

Hi all. I have a M925 A2 with a Medium Duty winch. Winch was replaced by Air Force. Yesterday I tried to use it to pull a BADLY mired Chevy Trail Blazer. Could not budge it. Winch did go to pull mode, filter was clean, and plenty of hyd oil. I thought it should yank it out easy as Chevy maybe weighed 4200 lbs. Winch sounded ok, break was out, and it payed out easy. Am I missing something easy? I ran motor up to 1450 rpm. Was a bit embarrassing too. Thanks.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
You need to check the pressure rating from the pump line to the front winch motor first.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How much line was out? How many wraps were still on the drum?

With enough reduction it would have worked. Do you have snatch blocks? We’re you using any?

If it were “mired badly”, the resistance could have easily been 3 times(or more) the vehicles weight.

So, pulling with 3 wraps or more on the drum with a single line pull, you were easily underrated.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
The 5 ton should have been able to basically pull it backwards and out at idle really

ericp351

Thanks guys. I basically only had 60 feet of cable out. My truck was facing downhill. I could not drive him out pulling uphill on greasy mud. If this is a clue, my winch does not power pay out, bit does go to heave in. Thanks again for all of your help. I did think that the truck would nearly lift the smaller Chevy.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The winch control tower lever mounts are a pisss poor design and flex badly, or break, if the cable, and or the hydraulic control valve aren’t moving effortlessly from lack of use. Get under the truck and watch the control valve while soldier B works the lever. You may have to lube and work the cable and valve independently to free them up. Be gentle with the lever during this process or you will be repairing the tower if not already necessary.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also these winches aren’t as powerful as one would think. With 50’ of cable payed out, truck empty, on level good traction ground, tires aired to emergency, foot on the brake to lock all six tires, I can stall my winch fairly easily. But on a greasy down hill, you should have easily drug your truck as well as two, or three other 5 tons before stalling a properly functioning winch.

74M35A2

Fully agree on the winch hydraulic valve travel amount. Going the extra 1/8" on valve handle travel will make all the difference in the world. They are not operated enough, and sloppy as my brother just said. Lube it, work it, adjust it. My winch pulled my 925a2 out of 4' of mud no problem (level). That is to the top of all 6 tires as reference. Everybody else's should as well if working correctly.

Way cool you are having fun with your truck. Post some pics of the stuck stuff!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks