• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pop/Klunk/Thunk in steering at low speeds

HardCorps79

I read this thread and it gave me some clues, but it didn't really address my problem.

When I'm making tight turns at low speed, such as parking, I'm getting a sort of clunk under my left foot as the steering wheel returns to center. It doesn't happen every time, but it started doing it a week or so ago and it make me a bit concerned, since it hasn't done it before. I haven't gotten under to see if any of the bolts are loose in the vicinity of the steering box, but I did notice that the flex shaft (part 49 in the steering schematic in the Parts manual) has a lot of free play- rotates about 1/8" in either direction. Pretty sure it shouldn't move more than a 1/16" (remember that from somewhere). How do I tighten this up, or what do I need to do to correct the problem? Could it be the pitman arm? (Just throwing out anything that comes to mind).

I've got a fair amount of freeplay in the steering wheel and have noticed it getting worse lately. I did notice that my front shocks need desperately to be replaced (the rubber gaskets are flaking out, quite literally), but I'm not sure they're related.

Planning to do the front ball joints, u-joints, and wheel bearings first part of January (if it warms up a bit: -8 tonight!). Also doing the shocks and steering damper, of course. Anything else to check while I'm tearing up the front end assembly? Any weird tools I may end up needing?

Thanks as always.

Group think Corollary 1:
"None of us is as smart as all of us"

Group think Corollary 2:
"To solve the average IQ of any group, divide the lowest member's IQ by the total number of people in the group."

:D

blzrgb

Check to make sure the frame is not broken where the steering box mounts. It's not uncommon for it to be broken there. If it is, give Off Road Design a call. They have a weld in kit that will fix it.:-D