• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Popcorn, Old Men, and Big Green Iorn

baja_power

Did something pretty cool this week, Ran the Deuce in the popcorn festival in Marion Ohio. A guy contacted me about a month ago saying there were some VFW members who couldn't walk the parade route and wanted to know if i was interested in hauling them with some banners. Figured sure why not, might get to fight a cop or something along the way, (thats usually how parades go anyway.) Turned out to be pretty neat. I was the second truck after the color guard in the parade. Lots of standing ovations and salutes. Before the parade started i was even interviewed by the Marion star paper. Only got two pics but other peoples will be emailed to me. Will post when i receive them.

Attachments

poppop

Thats cool man. My M813 carried a group of old veterans in the Brooklet peanut festival in Ga. It was Military appreciation theme for the parade. The truck was a hit but I don't have pictures because I was in charge of the antique tractors and did not have time to take pictures.

JDToumanian

That looks like fun. What a nice bunch of old fellas. WWII fascinates me... I'm sure those guys have stories I'd love to hear.

Manstein

Chaplain Emeritus
That hook looks like it weighs about 500 lbs. What did it come off of?

Parades are always great and everybody loves to see the deuce roll by.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bought my deuce from that same person as Baja, and he gave the same chain to me. Not sure what to use it for, don't think it will break.

JohnnyReb

Talking about bringing back memories....
Ever drive the deuce through a town and see some fellas swing around just as soon as they hear you comin'? You can tell the vets verses civilians....almost like a flashback on the street.....
Once you have spent several days riding in the back.....that sound is imprinted in your head...(together with the smell of old canvas...guys who need a bath....musty crates...oh the good ole days :cry: )
I tell folks I had to buy one to be allowed to ride in the front.... :D

CGarbee

Not the first reason for purchasing any of my trucks, but always a great time at Memorial Day, Veteran's Day, POW/MIA Day, etc. to hual the vets in the parades, talk to them about the trucks, etc.
I've had guys come up to me at the gas station, hardware store, etc., and tell me stories that their familly members (who tend to hang back then talk to me afterword) say that they have never heard before. Having the truck serves as a catalist...

Biggest thrill has got to be when a Marine who served in Korea walked up to me two years ago and said that I was driving one of his trucks (I was in my USMC M37 and he recognized the hood number as one that used to be in his motor pool...). He's made a point of checking on the truck at the Memorial Day and Veteran's Day activities since...
I also have met the former driver of my USAF M35A2C... That happened when I was hauling some Cub Scouts around. One of the dad's got to talking to me about my truck and when he climbed up and looked at the stencil (USAF registration number) on the underside of the hood, he recognized it as his old ride... He still has his logbook showing the trips that he made in it... :)

Veterans' Day: I get to haul the Veterans' of Three Wars (WWII, Korea, and Vietnam) in my M37, Grand Marshal rides in my M38, and the Veterans who can't march the distance ride in the M35A2C or in the other trucks belonging to our local MV club members. It is a bast...

Glad to see that other folks are also getting to give the fellows rides. :)

NEIOWA

TROOP STRAP. EVERYTIME you're hauling passengers in the bed. If you don't have the correct OD strap use rope between the eyelets. Dumping the gal standing by the tailgate out on her head would not be pretty.

bomar76

NEIOWA said:
TROOP STRAP. EVERYTIME you're hauling passengers in the bed. If you don't have the correct OD strap use rope between the eyelets. Dumping the gal standing by the tailgate out on her head would not be pretty.
So do you think he is under way with the drivers door wide open?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks