• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Poping sound when turning

ratat98

My steering column was just barely loose right at the dash and it was moving just a hair when I turned sharp. a couple turns on the attachment to the dash, and its as good as new!

KsM715

Eh, I've driven/piloted everything from a 1947 willys jeep, to a 1953 Bell 47. It's not one of those "important" sounds. It's more of a "it's just a normal sound from a 39 year old vehicle" type of thing.
Ah, my daily drivers for the past 20 years have all been Jeeps so I know what you mean. :razz:

joshs1ofakindxj

I noticed my truck makes some decent popping noises when I'm turning sharp and moving slow. I'll have to look into that soon but it could be the rear axles shuffling. It sounds like it's coming from right beneath me or just in front of me.

Economist

Steel Soldiers Supporter
On my A3, I had the same thing. I greased up the steering arm where the boot is located. It went away. I think the spring inside may have been dry and neglected while on the base. Just my 2 cents...

Heavysteven

Check the rear trunnion, had this noise BAD on Jim Hendersons deuce, we thought something was broke in the left rear, axle or something, could not find anything, checked everything on the right just for grins, found the that the right trunnion bearings were loose, adjusted according to the TM, noise GONE, by the way the trunnion bearings nuts use the SAME socket as the hub nuts.

WHILE at it, when was last time you greased the trunnion, no need to loosen the cap, when you see grease come out the REAR seal, it is FULL of grease

NOTE---SPELL CHECK is not all knowing, SSIU
73M819,
Could you go in to more detail on the greasing of the trunnions. Are you referring to this grease fitting between the wheels? Also, I should see grease coming out where?

Attachments

Heavysteven

I would jack up the front axle and do an inspection. Check the bearings, kings pins...etc. Also make sure your steering box bolts are tight. Adjust your steering box while it's in the air.

I had loose steering at first too. When I installed solid boots I went through everything. This plus adjust the steering box solved the problem.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
73M819,
Could you go in to more detail on the greasing of the trunnions. Are you referring to this grease fitting between the wheels? Also, I should see grease coming out where?
Yes that is the grease fitting

The tm says loosen the cap bolts, DO NOT DO THAT, instead, look on the inside (back side) of the truion where the seal is, pump grease into the zerk on the truion till grease comes out around the seal, you don't have to worry about over greasing and heat because there is not enough speed to worry about

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks