• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

popping noise in front end

rjhiggins

Well I have been all over my 1028 trying to find popping noise in front end. 6 inch lift, 37 inch tires all the good stuff under front end. replaced broke bolt in steering box and added the the brace ...... lucky me no cracked frame. still have popping noise in front end. I got the old noise tester box out today and started checking everything, noise is coming more from the cab body mounts. pulled the one at driver side and found worn rusty bushing. Could this be problem?? maybe has anyone else seem to have any other ideas? I have read as many threads about noise but not much in what I experienced. Thanks alot.

rjhiggins

I did rechecked the u-bolts and all other bolts on front end. It still making noise, sounds like it is body bushing but man they are really popping and crakling even on street espcially when turning slow.

motormayhem

I take it your hubs are unlocked? check the leaf spring shackles and mounts. Also maybe the bumper for looseness. I broke the bumper mounts by the D ring and it make some weird squeaking sounds at random times when I was driving.

pmramsey

lock your hubs and then unlock them making sure they are turned as far as possible to the unlocked position.

DokWatson

My drive shaft hits the crossmember and makes a popping sound when I go over bumps, I thought it was a bad shock at first. I need to clearance the crossmember. You might have a similar issue since you are close to the same height.

2deuce

I have had that popping and it was only noticeable at tight turns and slow speeds like backing out of a parking space. It was the bushings in the leaf springs.

rjhiggins

2duece ..... thats sounds like what i got.............same symptoms, but I installed ord hd shackle kit with greaseable bushings. They where worn out (the top ones). Also replaced the front main eye with greaseable also. As for all other comments thanks but the hubs are unlocked and axles r free, they are not turning at all. I have ruled all that out. Thought it may have been a king pin bushing or bearing, but when I did the chassis noise tester. The noise was very little from that area. The noise was more from the rear drivers side behind tire area and upfront at front cab body mount. no noise from right side, it does drive me crazy. Thinking about replacing body mounts they only around 70 dollars.