• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Popping sound comming from front end?

Ridgerunner

SS member "BlueDeuce" is having trouble with truck, and currently this site/internet, so he emailed me this question that I'm posting. Hopefully he can chime in, in a little bit.

Here is the deal. I have a popping sound coming from the front end of the truck when I turn the wheel while I'm driving. Down the road straight all is well, slight turning at highway speed is okay.

Through town at slower speeds is where I get the noise. If the wheels are straight and I turn right half way through the turn it pops on me. It does not pop when I return to straight. If I then go from straight to turn right again it does not pop. But if I turn right then back to center then slight past center to the left then back right again it pops half way through the right hand turn. the pop sounds and feels like its coming from the left front side of the truck.
It also does the same thing as above when I turn left at slower speeds just not as bad.

Its almost like there is some type of pressure building up in the steering linkage that pops or releases halfway through the turn. I have checked every nut and bolt for tight. Nothing is loose that I can see or tell. My front wheel drive is disengaged. I had the breaks rebuilt four months ago there all new. They repacked and replaced my front bearings. (I watched them do all work). My diff fluid level is good and I grease all fittings regularly.

Other than this popping the steering and front end seems solid. The steering wheel has a slight shimmy in it at speed but nothing unusual. The treads on the front tires are at 80% and they are wearing evenly. Tire pressure is at 50psi and all lugs are in place and tight.

Since I've had the truck all driving has been on the hard ball with no front end trauma that I'm aware of. Tie rod and ends are in decent shape. The rubber boots are a bit worn and should be replaced soon but nothing 911 about it.

The only thing I can think of that might be the culprit is a loose or worn out drag link/pitman arm. I have never messed with one and I can not find any info in any of the TM's or on exhisting threads on SS that addresses my issue.

Any help and advice are greatly appreciated. -BlueDeuce

Motorcar

I know he said the front drive is disengaged but unless he has lockout hubs the front axle shafts and u-joints inside the knucke are still spinning to the differential. Could be a failing u-joint inside the knuckle behind the spindle, but before that I would check the knig pins, and steering gear box shaft to the pitman arm.

Jack it up, put the front end on stands then use a cheater bar to pry up and down on the front tires to see if there is a bunch of play in the king pins. While it is up rotate the steering from lock to lock to see if there is end play in any of the components. Put it back on the ground and have one person turn the steering wheel while sitting still and another observe the steering gearbox shaft coming thru the frame to the steering arm, a worn gear box bushing will be quite visible in up and down end play.

Sounds a bit like gear box issues.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree, park the truck and pull the steering gear box cover and inspect.

Possibly one of the two pins/bearings(#7) are broken.

Attachments

Last edited:

rlwm211

Sounds like a bad u-joint in the half shaft to me. A quick way to isolate the problem would be to remove the spline caps on the front axle and make a couple of turns in a paved parking lot. If the noise is gone it is in the half shafts. If it is still present the only parts remaining that need to be checked are the king pins and/or the steering box as has been suggested.

3rdmdqm

Just a thought due to a similar problem I had, does your truck have a sprag transfer case? My sprag was out malfunctioning and on slight turns would engage with a pop sound. It almost felt like a I had a flat tire, then when wheels turned straight went away. Progressed to the point where it got really bad, right or left, always slow speed, then made lound noise and went away when going straight. Appears to be a sprag adjustment issue. I removed the front drive shaft and the problem has completely gone away. Have not had time to mess with the sprag to see if it is a simple adjustment or something more serious in the transfer case, but it was definitely related to the sprag.

DieselBob

I would start by removing the front drive shaft and see if the problem goes away. I 'm thinking like 3rdmdqm that the drive line is wrapping up.

Blueduce

Thanks fellas. and thanks to Ridgerunner for his continued help and guidance. I will be breaking into it tomorrow if it doesn't rain. I'll keep everyone posted. To answer 3rdmdqm it has a Rockwell transfer. rlwm221 Thanks. do you by chance have the TM reference on hand for this procedure save me a few hours of digging. I am a front end virgin so I will take it slow and I'm sure to be asking a lot of Q's.

rlwm211

All you need to remove the Spline cap is a 3/4 socket and rachet.

If you are careful you will probably not disturb the gasket and all you will have to do is reinstall the bolts. 70 FTLBs incase you want to know.

manuals are here in the resources section or at www.jatonkam35s.com in the Deuce Manuals section in

TM 9-2320-209-20-3-1
Page 789.

I suggest that you take the time to read the operator's manual at some point as it explains the various components of the truck and how everything works and the do's and don't's.

Hope this is helpful

Blueduce

Thanks for the heads up and the TM reference rlwm221. Honestly I have done my best to familiarize myself with the all the workings of my truck there's just a lot of stuff to learn. I retired from the Army in 2009 and had the Deuce on my license. Being a Combat Engineer I never had the need to go much past the -10 operators level of maintenance. I guess I have a reason now and am doing my best to come up the power curve. Thanks again. Glenn

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How about a loose "U" bolt holding the spring leafs to the axle. It may be very tight looking yet loose enough to slip under those great stresses, making a noise. Only 'resets' when turning the other way and back.

Blueduce

Thanks OPCOM I did go through and re-check all the leaf spring U bolts. Everything seems to be in good shape. And I did have all the bearings repacked and the fronts where replaced when I had the breaks worked on a few months ago good call mudman I will inspect them when I pull off the caps.

Blueduce

My biggest problem with an issue like this is I don't have a soldier B... have to rely on my neighbor. Hes a great guy but don't know that I would feel comfortable having him do much more than hold a wrench.

lawdog1623

please keep us posted on this. i just bought a beautiful deuce and mine is doing this very same thing when i initiate a turn. I need to get mine fixed as well. Thank you and god bless

Blueduce

Will do lawdog1623. It may take me a few days to get to it due to the storms rolling across north Texas. Reports are saying it should clear up by Monday.

lawdog1623

N texas? Im l.e.o. In plano. Nice to meet a fellow deuce owner near me. U run with any clubs in the area? Im getting in with one in sherman area.

Blueduce

I'm south of Dallas in Waxahachie area. I haven't found any clubs so far lawdog1623. I'm sorta new to this as well. I retired out of the Army back in 2009 and just moved to the area. I've only had my Deuce since Sept 2010. She has become my hobby and my obsession. I've had to do a lot of work to her so far so if you need any help let me know...

ratat98

I had this problem on my deuce too, and posted on here. Someone told me to grease everything on the steering, and it would fix the pop! Worked like a charm! Might not be the same in your case, but I was looking at buying a new gearbox before I tried a good grease job, and the grease solved all of the problems. I'll try to find the thread for you

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks