• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

poppop,s M37 restore thread

Oldvw2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The previous owner had found all the hard parts to put it back together. One bearing cap for the input shaft apperaed to be new and was cast iron where the other end seemed orginal to the winch and was alunimum. Both had the same part number on them so I installed the iron one on the drive shaft end. It seems to me that end will have more pressure exerted on it.
Just saw this post Lloyd - Sid Beck (RIP) gets the credit for substituting the Braden MU-2 bearing cap for the aluminum one on the LU-4. They are a direct fit and in his experience held up better on the input shaft side. I purchased that winch at Aberdeen and it had come off of a brush truck - as you can tell the FD was not easy on it - glad to see it going back together!

poppop

Dave, my warp drive has serciously mal-functioned. I do have the top plate for the winch built and today cut out the plywood bottoms for the seats. Maybe I can get the bottom cushions attached and they will be ready. I have to order the backs of both seats.

The back Doctor released me last Wednesday and made me an appointment with the hip Doctor for next Tuesday. My hip still is hurting real bad if I stay on it much and that makes it very bad to try and work on the M37. Besides that we are real busy with the produce on the farm and Efrain stays busy with that. That leaves me to spray and take care of the other crops and this rain is making it very difficult to keep the work done.

zout

Hope you realize this caused me to eat a couple red tomato's and a shaker of salt here at my computer desk reading once again - (not margarita salt either).

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Hope you realize this caused me to eat a couple red tomato's and a shaker of salt here at my computer desk reading once again - (not margarita salt either).
I have a strange urge to go buy a bunch of produce and some OD green food color!!!

I think eating OD Green produce would in some way lend moral support to poppop!!:naner::papabear:

poppop

Aw Dave, there you go bringing that up.:D I have been putting off posting because I look like a sissy next to you guys. Yes, primed the doors, hood, lights and some more small parts couple days ago. Put one coat color on those parts today and primed the cab. The hood orange peeled so sanded it back and primed again today. The top plate I built for the winch walked off so built another one and it and the winch are painted. Front axle is re-assembled and brakes installed and adjusted. Radiator is mounted, four big radial tires are mounted and on the truck and today I touched up the wheels and a lot of bolts with a brush while Efrain sprayed.

I was supposed to have a new hip installed last Wednesday, the big ice day, but got sick the night before and had to cancel. It is now on for Feb 26. De was supposed to have surgery at Mayo Feb 28 but canceled today because of mine and is now on for April 7.

The weather has not been good for painting but now with these parts done we can mount the cab and start getting the body back together.

zout

Na you know better than that Brother - I am a nobody and count for nothin. Glad to hear of some progress and was really more concerned about the hip issue - thought nobody cared didn;t YOU - you should know better.

Weather - understand that problem - dealing with it all over the country in one way or the other with projects (unless you have one of them fancy indoor hotel garages which I don;t). That makes our projects better with the Ga Mafia Members anyhow.
Tied and tested.

Get some pics of where your at - and WE have not forgotten you nor the project (you have till April 25th to complete to drive it to the cookout the 26th)

poppop

Got some pictures of recent progress on the truck. Got the winch mounted and all bumper bolts tightened up today, you can see the top plate I fabricated. One shot shows the tires that are mounted on the truck now and the others show the cab and hood before I sanded them today.
100_3005 (Small).JPG100_3003 (Small).JPG100_3006 (Small).JPG100_3008 (Small).JPG100_3004 (Small).JPG100_3007 (Small).JPG

poppop

OK, making a few baby steps on the M37. Got the fuel tank installed and am running lines. Can anyone tell me if the fuel and brake lines run over the left hand bell housing mount or under it. Looks like it should be over but then theres not much room and looks like the lines could rub bad.

zout

I know the M43B1 went over the top Lloyd - but there are smarter folks than I am - truck is looking great BTW and just stick at it when you can and however you can - its not a rush game and in the end all you will have on your face
Is a big smile and how long it took will mean nothing.

You don't have to impress anyone but yourself - hang in there bro. GREAT WORK and awesome project.

(it would have killed a lesser man by now what you have taken on)

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Getting back on the 37 is a great way to move into spring. Once the fuel goes into the tank I lose all knowledge of how it gets to the engine. :oops:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks