• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

POR-15 on MEP-803A?

jaxbill

Hello -

Has anyone ever used POR-15 on a rusty MEP exhaust manifold? I did a quick search of the forum and didn't see a lot on this.

I am buying a 1998 MEP-803A (reset in 2007) that is otherwise extremely clean and without any other noticeable rust. There's no functional issue. The generator runs great and generates good power.

Anyone have an opinion on the value of doing this? Anyone ever do it themselves?

I'm only thinking of longevity not so much cosmetics. I'd like this unit to last a good number of years.

Thanks

Bill

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's an exhaust manifold. Even in your tropical climate it should take more than your lifetime for it to rust through.

I've used other phosphoric acid rust killers on other components. If you proceed, care should be taken so that it doesn't get on green CARC, otherwise it turns a sickly faded color.

I think you'd be ok, especially if you rinsed well afterwards. I DO NOT KNOW what effect the operating temp of an exhaust will have on the POR-15.

jaxbill

Thanks. I didn't think of the operating temp. This might be a whole other beast compared to me going overboard with some old car in my garage.

Yeah, can't say I ever had to replace an exhaust manifold due to rust. It's always due to some other abuse.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I went digging and found this -

"tes90: While I like POR for car frames (and, by the way, you can buy it direct from por15.com), I'd be hesitant to use it on a heated part. When heated, it emits a huge cloud of incredibly smelly, probably toxic smoke, and continues to emit it until all the POR is burned off. I found this out the hard way after having to heat a previously-painted area of sheet metal to re-form it. The smoke sticks to everything with the same tenacity as the original POR, which is to say like a pit bull on a pork chop, and was a real bear to clean up."

So, I would advise against it.

rustystud

Hello -

Has anyone ever used POR-15 on a rusty MEP exhaust manifold? I did a quick search of the forum and didn't see a lot on this.

I am buying a 1998 MEP-803A (reset in 2007) that is otherwise extremely clean and without any other noticeable rust. There's no functional issue. The generator runs great and generates good power.

Anyone have an opinion on the value of doing this? Anyone ever do it themselves?

I'm only thinking of longevity not so much cosmetics. I'd like this unit to last a good number of years.

Thanks

Bill

Don't use POR-15 on any hot surface. If you want your generator to look nice then "Eastwood" sells a exhaust manifold paint that I've personally used. It lasts for about a year on a truck driven daily, so your generator manifold might last for several years.

Bmxenbrett

If your really worried about it send it to get ceramic coated or buy a new spare. Even that 2500* header paint burns off. Personaly i wouldnt worry about it as you will be replacing the head gasket due to rust lifting the head long before you change the manifold.

jaxbill

I must be mixing up my brands of paint-on rust inhibitors when it comes to something safe for high heat. Thanks guys.

I've been lucky enough to never have rust lift the head before [on cars]. I sure hope I never do. Although, it doesn't look like the manifold is that horrible to get out. I'm only looking at a picture but I don't see too many other parts in the way.

image5.jpg

Last edited:

rustystud

If your really worried about it send it to get ceramic coated or buy a new spare. Even that 2500* header paint burns off. Personaly i wouldnt worry about it as you will be replacing the head gasket due to rust lifting the head long before you change the manifold.
Ceramic coating is the way to go if you have the money ! That stuff last years !

jaxbill

Thanks for the tip. I need to get a better look to figure out if it's worth messing with. Rust is always tough to judge when you're only looking at a photo.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks