• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Port of Galveston, Texas to Branch, Louisiana

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You could take SH87 across the ferry from GAL to highisland. This will bypass the weigh station on IH10 just west of wennie. If you contune on to Port Arthur you can cross to camaron la at a small ferry there. If they won't let you on because of the weight. You can contune on 87 through orange to deweyville. Then take 12 to de quencey la. There is a small weigh station there on 12 but it's not allways open. Just get someone with a car to drive pass first and see.

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
You will have no choice but to go slow

My M35A2 tows a 10.5T vehicle and 3 ton trailer.45MPH tops level ground.Hills are very slow.Engine works hard.
I made a 300 mile pull with a 8T on trailer(11T load).I had no problems.The hills in N. Pa were 35MPH.Did not need to brake much going down.Good stopping performace when needed.Much more comfortable than 10.5/3T.

Remember, if you are in an accident (not at fault or otherwise) will have problems.

JimK

EZFEED

ken said:
You could take SH87 across the ferry from GAL to highisland. This will bypass the weigh station on IH10 just west of wennie. If you contune on to Port Arthur you can cross to camaron la at a small ferry there. If they won't let you on because of the weight. You can contune on 87 through orange to deweyville. Then take 12 to de quencey la. There is a small weigh station there on 12 but it's not allways open. Just get someone with a car to drive pass first and see.
OK I just reviewed this.....I'm digg'in it! :D

This could turn out to be my own little smokey and the bandit run! :lol:

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I too had thought of the smokey and the bandit run but didn't say it! But there are many crossings with out chicken coops that you may be able to use. I sudjest taking 190 and crossing from Bon wier TX to Merryville LA. You could then take 110 and head back south. I know this will take you out of your way. But it might be less hassle. Mabye you could take a car and look for the best crossing. Taking a dry run before you drive all that way getting 5MPG in your M35.

disco

A risky but more direct plan would be simply running down I-10 and pulling into the rest area right before the weigh station. Monitor the CB and when they start bypassing, make a run for it. Once it fills up, it takes a while to clear. Especially when a convoy comes through. You have a lot of trucks running 70 mph, then they pull into the station and idle across the scale at 5 mph. Doesn't take long to fill up the scales like that.

I'm not sure I would do that myself but it is an option.

NEIOWA

EZFEED said:
. Ocean transport time is dependant on what my carrier will schedule me for since he's pulling some strings for me. It will be 21 days from Bremerhaven, Germany to Galveston so I will have this time for a heads up.
What kind of education can your provide regarding vehicle shipment from Germany? Assume drivable, will NOT fit in a container. You use a RORO ship? How did you get to the port? What did that cost you? Ocean shipment to US Port?

EZFEED

NEIOWA said:
EZFEED said:
. Ocean transport time is dependant on what my carrier will schedule me for since he's pulling some strings for me. It will be 21 days from Bremerhaven, Germany to Galveston so I will have this time for a heads up.
What kind of education can your provide regarding vehicle shipment from Germany? Assume drivable, will NOT fit in a container. You use a RORO ship? How did you get to the port? What did that cost you? Ocean shipment to US Port?
It's not bad as long as the vehicle is deactivated AND fully permitted and you'd better d*mn well have your permits available at the port/docks in Germany. Germany has some of the strictest armor regulations and if you don't want it seized then be sure to have all of your stuff available. It's not bad as long as you do this.

I use transglobal shipping and my rate for Ro-Ro was only a little under $4,000 from Bremerhaven to TX. The vehicle cost me $4,000 restored (I'm a regular customer) so in total I have around $7,500-$8,000. I have to pay rail shipment over there and terminal handling charges here in the States when I get it so maybe after it's all said and done $9,000 + - a few hundred but at least it's like new.

NEIOWA

RE: Re: Port of Galveston, Texas to Branch, Louisiana

We're looking at a P18 fire truck for our Fire Dept. 2x now available in DRMS system. US build on IH chassis (1989 Paystar F5070 6x6). So paperwork should be relatively simple.

Getting to port in Germany likely may be the hardest part. Not sure if legal to drive or have to haul.

EZFEED

Anyone available?????? The time is getting close and I need a haul from Galveston or Houston, TX to Branch, LA.

Really I just need a tow guys. A 5 ton should be able to yank this down the backroads for me.

We can disconnect the trucks before weigh stations and drive separately through. My truck does run and drive, I just don't want to chance breaking something on such a long haul.

EZFEED

Lil update,

I took some time off this to work on my house and put the unit in storage. Just last week I had them bring it out and prep it for shipping. Had the M-59 30mm recievers deactivated as well.

So I'm expecting shipping within this or next month. Still looking for a tow if possible.

Attachments

EZFEED

OK Guys, everything is squared away for this now and I have definite numbers. I've had some hang ups and delays in Germany but now it's sitting in storage in Emden and waiting to be loaded up on the Volkswagen ship 7/3/08. She currently resides here in wait.
ANKER Schiffahrtsgesellschaft mbH
Am Flügeldeich 30
D-26723 Emden - Außenhafen

My truck is scheduled to be in the port of Houston, TX on the 22nd of July. I am going to attempt to drive it back to my home in Louisiana (70516) by taking 90 and the backroads that I can. I can only move at 45mph tops and keep it safe so I'm expecting a 8 or more hour drive. I've already put insurance on the vehicle and have a 30 day permit to operate an unregistered vehicle so theres no problems with the legal crew.

Nows heres the thing. I NEED SOMEONE if they would, to possibly catch my back and give me a tow home in case I have mechanical trouble. I will pay fuel, etc, I just need to have someone that I can call if I get in a pinch and need a tug. The vehicle weighs 10 tons but it can be towed with a towbar or chain. What I would do in such a case is remove the driveshafts so it will free roll on all 10 tires.

The engine is as simple as a Deuces 6cyl with the added benefit that it is aircooled so no radiator issues. Unless I have injector pump or maybe brake problems I shouldn't have to bother anyone. The drivetrain should be fine so that ought not to be an issue.
I think a deuce or even a 5 ton should be able to pull this as a towbar load.

The route will be from the port of Houston in Texas to Branch, Louisiana (70516) and I would only need you if I got in a pinch and it would only be a flat tow, no lifting or picking up of any end needed.

Would anyone please help me and act as sort of a safety net for me here? I doubt I'll need to bother you but if I do I will fully compensate you!

Pat

littlebob

I'm glad to see your getting it closer and sorry I am not on your route and still don't have mine on the road. I thought I saw a post about you acquiring a DEUCE, do you still have it?
littlebob

EZFEED

Thats cool, hopefully someone can offer some backup. So how much further do you have on your wrecker? Need any transmission parts or anything? :)

Sure do but it's not operational at the moment due to some turbo problems.

Capt.Marion

Just out of curiosity, if you plan to flat tow this, are you sure the front wheels won't turn and lock either hard right or hard left? I've heard about trucks doing that, even at low speeds...

Very cool, this is a neat looking armored truck. Its Czech, right? Pretty nifty, I hope everything goes well with this.

EZFEED

Capt.Marion said:
Just out of curiosity, if you plan to flat tow this, are you sure the front wheels won't turn and lock either hard right or hard left? I've heard about trucks doing that, even at low speeds...

Very cool, this is a neat looking armored truck. Its Czech, right? Pretty nifty, I hope everything goes well with this.
Nope dont have to worry about that. All 3 of the axles have mecahanicaly actuated lockers.

Yep, Czech. Everything should....only wild card is if I break down on the way home.

EZFEED

Capt.Marion said:

Nope dont have to worry about that. All 3 of the axles have mecahanicaly actuated lockers.

Yep, Czech. Everything should....only wild card is if I break down on the way home.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks