• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Possibility of adjusting fuel and droop screw ELECTRONICALLY ON THE FLY? Maybe.

oddshot

I already know because I've already heard it. "Nope ... this will never work and its the stupidest thing we've ever heard of. Don't even waste your time looking at this crap."

soanyoldways ... there's this guy on YT (I can already hear the eyes rolling) who does a lot of odd projects, like putting lawn mower engines into cars to see how fast they will go (the eye rolling is getting louder!) and how little fuel they will use. ROBOT CANTINA (yep ... "Robot".)'s current weird project is yanking the bi-power hybrid crap out of a crap Honda Insight and replacing all that crap with a tiny (crap) Kubota diesel engine and putting a tiny pos stupidcharger (his words not mine) on the thing to help out. His goal is to make this thing a daily driver.

"A STUPIDCHARGER??? Don't you know M35a2s have TURBOCHARGERS!!!" The eye rolling has changed to twitching and I'm beginning to hear muttering and murmuring.

Well, here comes the REALLY stupid stuff. He is using some chinese crap computer, some kinda throttle valve and some other electronic crap ... using inputs from some sensors ... to adjust the fuel rail thingie (again HIS words) in the Kubota's old school mechanical fuel injection system.

Here's where I get run out of the forum for being the biggest moron alive: I ACTUALLY THINK THIS MIGHT WORK ON THE DEUCE.

"OK DUMMY ... so it MIGHT work. But why the hell would we spend all that money and waste all that time? BTW ... ain't you the guy that put 30k miles wasting your time on wmo fuel?"

So far Robot has less than one hundred dollars (not counting sensors and etg & boost gauges) into this fuel adjustment thing.

Robot thinks there are 3 reasons why accurate fuel control of a diesel engine is a good idea: smoke, economy and power. And those would be the 3 reasons I'm watching his vids.

YES!!! I already know that the Deuce ain't NEVER gonna give much more than 13-15 mpg or go over 60 mph, not that you would want to if you could.

Be it sure would be interesting (and maybe fun) to see what this might do.

And, no, you won't have to take the turbocharger off your truck. But I have to say, for a device that was originally put on these trucks to control smoke, it sure don't do much of nothing.

BTW ... I am probably selling my beloved old army mule, Henry The Bobbed Deuce. After 2 rotator cuff surgeries, my 73 year old shoulders just can't do it no more. I'm just passing this f.i. stuff on in case there is somebody here open-minded enough to give it a look and kick it around a little.

BTW ... although he is into weird, Mr Cantina is Very Skilled and really knows his onions. He also has more qualls than he lets on.

This is today's video:
I'm thinking he has about 2 more videos to get this all set up and working amazingly well.

In this vid Robot explains some of what he's up to. Anybody know what an ardino is?

Here is his YT video list: https://www.youtube.com/@robotcantina8957/videos

There is another video when he starts discussing all this stuff, but I can't remember which one it is. When I come up with it, I will post it.

Feel free to discuss this among yourselves.

Last edited:

rustystud

There is a way to adjust the fuel density plate manually. It has been done by a guy here.
As far as going to electronics to control anything that would be extremely difficult to say the least !
One. There is no physical room in the Deuce injection pump for electronics. Second, it is all mechanical and all those levers and rods need something to push and pull them, now go back to answer one.

Sled pullers have used the MultiFuel engine, and they always replace the Bosch pump with I believe a RostaMaster unit. I don't remember all the particulars, but I did talk to one of the major players in the sled pulling competitions several years ago. He gave me some good advice which I posted here somewhere.
But there is no one making any new injection pump housings for the MultiFuel engine that would allow electronics in them.

oddshot

There is a way to adjust the fuel density plate manually. It has been done by a guy here.
As far as going to electronics to control anything that would be extremely difficult to say the least !
One. There is no physical room in the Deuce injection pump for electronics. Second, it is all mechanical and all those levers and rods need something to push and pull them, now go back to answer one.
As for One and Two, Even though I've owned operated and repaired my own (bobbed) M35a2 for 12 years +/-, I'm too STUPID to know those things?

Allow me a question ... did you at least go to the videos to see how this works?

Allow me to forecast an answer: " NO!!! Why the heck would I do that? I know EVERYTHING about the Deuce and automatically know its too stupid an idea to go and look."

And allow me an answer to my hypothetical answer: If you had watched the videos, you would have seen that ALMOST NOTHING GOES INSIDE ANYTHING.

Its a bolt on ... not a bolt IN! And it really is a fairly simple system ... and fairly cheap too.

But I'm too stupid to have "de-deuced" this automatically. I had to actually look to see what it was all about.

Because I am too stupid to have a discussion with anyone who AUTOMATICALLY KNOWS EVERYTHING, I will only respond to people who have actually viewed the videos.

Last edited:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If I remember the member used a cable pull attached to the servo on the FDC. He drilled a hole in the top of plate of the FDC and hook the cable to the servo and was able to pull or push on it increasing or decreasing the fuel. In all reality yes it could be done by electrical servo to either pull or push on the FDC servo. You have to bypass the fuel to the FDC no matter whether it was cable pull or electric and go straight to the Head. That's the one thing I like about my Detroit 60 series with a DDEC 11. I can go down the road at 55 mph and only produce two or three pounds of boost. If the load kicks in or I give it full throttle I can produce 17 lb of boost.

Last edited:

oddshot

Because I am too stupid to have a discussion with anyone who AUTOMATICALLY KNOWS EVERYTHING, I will only respond to people who have actually viewed the videos.
But then ... no I won't.

I've talked about:

Bobbing a Deuce ...

Using wmo ...

Painting with house paint ...

And sewing my own top ...

... and all I've ever heard from those who know EVERYTHING about the Deuce is these things can't be done and they will wreck my truck and I'm STUPID for even considering them.

Even though they have all worked for almost 12 years and well over 30K miles, including years when Henry was my daily driver ... Something else I was told couldn't happen.

EDIT: here's a parting gift for those with an open mind.

Today's vid explains a lot more of how the system works.

For those who actually watch the video here's a one question quiz: How many parts would be installed into the Deuces Diesel pump?

anyoldways ... like I said, I'm selling my truck. Mostly because I'm getting too old to drive it a lot, but also because I'm taking on a new project. I'm building my own car ... out of some VW parts, a Honda Goldwing GL1200 ... and a 1964 Piper Cherokee Pa-28-50.

1a2 PA1200 BugSmasher 4 View Piper Nose with VW fenders - with Ted.jpg

Yeah, yeah ... I already know. THAT WILL NEVER WORK ... IT'S TOO STUPID TO EVEN THINK ABOUT.

" ... now go back to answer one ... " : There are NO surprises on internet forums! Ignorance and arrogance rules the day.

Its been real, and its been fun ... but it hasn't been real fun.

Bye Guys ... I'm gone for good.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks