• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Possibility of using the winch hydraulics to run bed hoist.

Triple C

Has anybody thought of or added a hoist to a dropside bed on a 925? I don't think I will ever use the winch but I could really use a hoist under the bed to create a dump bed. It looks like the bed is strong enough but I don't know about the hydraulics. It doesn't look like it would be too tough to convert if the pump is strong enough and has a fast enough gpm.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It will work fine. You could even keep your winch and add another valve for the dump and use both. I'm running a hyd lime spreader bed on a M939 truck off of the winch hyd pump. The bed has a requirement of 2,500psi and 18 GPM, it handles it fine. I think the stock winch pump has around 25 gpm at governed engine speed. It's actually rated for 14 gpm at 1,000 rpm but the pto turns much faster than 1,000 rpm at governed engine speed ( I think it's close to 1:1)

You can either add another valve or if you want to do away with the winch, you can use the winch valve and controls to operate the bed.

Last edited:

Triple C

Great, thanks. The idea that I can still have both (with the use of a valve) is definately something to think about. I don't anticipate using the winch but, if I don't have to sacrifice it for a hoist......... Awesome, thanks.

tie6044

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Has anyone done this? I have a 923 with all the winch controls but no winch and thought a dump bed would be a great use of these unused hydraulics.

flibob

Been wanting to do this since I got my 932. One thing is the volume of hydraulic fluid needed for the cylinder. The winch is a motor so doesn't need much volume. I haven't had time to check it all out. I do know the kits some are selling don't have very big reservoirs so there are cylinders that should work. Keep us in the loop.

jw4x4

This could be done. Yes, the psi and the gpm are all within the parameters required for a hoist. However, a larger capacity hydraulic tank would have to be added. With a winch or spreader, the fluid constantly returns to the pump and stays in the closed loop of the system. With a hoist (esp multi-stage), the fluid must stay in the hoist during the entire lifting sequence, then is released back in to the tank when the bed is lowered. 2cents

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This could be done. Yes, the psi and the gpm are all within the parameters required for a hoist. However, a larger capacity hydraulic tank would have to be added. With a winch or spreader, the fluid constantly returns to the pump and stays in the closed loop of the system. With a hoist (esp multi-stage), the fluid must stay in the hoist during the entire lifting sequence, then is released back in to the tank when the bed is lowered. 2cents
That depends. Most scissor type hoist are double acting. That means when fluid goes in one side of the cylinder, it puts the fluid on the other side of the cylinder back in the tank. In theory, the tank only needs to hold as much fluid as the cylinder rod takes up but in reality you need a little more than that to prevent cavitation and for make up oil due to leaks and such.

Unless you're planing on installing a 4 stage telescopic dump cylinder (like civi tri-axle dumptrucks use) the stock hyd tank should be more than enough. For my deuce dump, after the system is primed, I don't run over 5 gal in my tank.

Most hyd motor setups usually require a larger tank than most cylinder systems if they don't have a hyd cooler. This is due to heat buildup. I've done the math and my deuce dump tank would either have to be larger or I'd have to have a cooler if I wanted to hyd power my winch with a hyd motor. The oil would just get too hot on long hard pulls with just a 5 gallon tank.

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I ordered a Rugby hoist for my m925, hoping to get it picked up tomorrow. It is a scissors hoist, so it should work fine.

I don't remember the model number but it has the capacity to tip 10 yards of rock with the bed hinged at the back, no overhang.

I'll put some photos up here when I get it installed.

Neophyte

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm running two 5" cylinders for my plow on the M925 hydraulics.....works like a charm. I bring it up to around 1500-1800 RPM and she moves without hesitation. I put it under load (to stress test the mount, hoses) by placing the plow against a tree.....pushed the truck back with brakes on!!!

rivercreek

M16ty,curious about your spreader setup. Am I understanding you correctly as having a " wet line setup "with a stock winch pump ? Looking to install a hydraulic salt spreader with similar flow and pressure requirements on my 5 ton, but I am concerned about overspeeding the hydraulic pump when running high rpms as well as flow consistency. For example, spreading while climbing a grade. Any input would be much appreciated.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rivercreek, The pump will work fine at high RPM. I do my lime spreading in second low at 2100 RPM. With the auto trans I try and run the truck at 2100 so the GPM will be pretty constant. That may be too slow for your on-road spreading but if you've got it in too high of gear it will downshift going up a hill, When it downshifts that's going to change RPM and in turn your spread pattern.

You could add a flow divider if your pump has enough GPM to meet the bed's minimum requirements at lower RPM. A stock pump puts out around 14GPM at 1200RPM. If 14GPM will run your bed, you could add a flow divider that sends 14GPM to the bed and dumps the rest back into the tank when RPM gets above 1200. Depending on how you want to run your setup and your GPM requirements the stock pump may not be big enough. I'm running slow speeds off-road and can control my RPM pretty constant. Of course I wouldn't think salt spreading would need to be as precise as lime spreading either.

I don't know if all this makes sense to you or not but I can rig one of these systems up easier than I can explain it in writing. If I didn't answer your question, feel free to ask more.

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This could be done. Yes, the psi and the gpm are all within the parameters required for a hoist. However, a larger capacity hydraulic tank would have to be added.
My hydraulics guy confirmed this and required that I build a larger tank. We put in improved filtration while we were at it.

Here is a photo of the truck at the 4th of July parade.

DSCN6296.jpg

Here's one of the truck with the hoist up. You can see the larger hydraulic tank. We moved the toolbox forward to make room for it.
DSCN6422.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks