• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Possible A1?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would say no. It is a late 1960's truck that the Kansas National Guard looks like they forgot about since about 1975. An A1 would have the headlights in the down position.

91W350

Nice looking truck! I looked at all of those but the memory bank must be full. If you want help chasing down wires, let me know. Your panel may be under the passenger's seat. Two of ours had no panels or instruments at all. In case you do not know, all wires involved are 14 gauge and gray. Glen

Big Z

NDT, could you tell me more about the variation in headlight positioning? Google-fu left me short on A1 pics. Thanks 91, iffin you're up to the Ft any time soon, you might have to take a peek for me! WM893; that's a definite possibility. To be 100% sure, I'm guessing a guy would have to see if it was a 427.

Troll1216

Here Is a photo of the front of my truck at Lavarok's before I got it home.
It is a converted gasser.

Notice the lower headlights and the split mud flaps. I will try to get a photo of the console on here as well.

It has been converted to a multi with a D turbo.
Too dark to look at motor tag.
It is air shift.
1991 Depo tags still on it :) - Remember that from brake job last week.
(finally up and running - me not the truck)

Attachments

Last edited:

Troll1216

The console came out of kennys gasser truck, it went to Ian and then back to 10 blocks from kenny when I got it.... The consoles for the gassers are different size wise.

onegmjack

Looks like you won a nice truck. Sometime it's hard to say what the trucks have been through.The headlight are high mount like my 71 AM General. Not sure when they went from sprag to air shift,like wreckerman said could have been robbed.I think a sprag would have a lever in the floor board,I mite be wrong.Dwight

two.fiveM35

My truck doesn't have a air shift actuator either. I think it started life with a sprag transfer case and at some point was up graded and they did not install the a air shift kit. I bought the the kit but have not installed it yet.

hole

Correct me if I'm wrong, but did'nt the A1(427) have horizontal exhaust like the early 465's? By the picture it looks like the larger vertical stack which would hint at it having a 465 with turbo. Not to say the old girl did'nt start her life as an A1, as it is now it's an A2. My truck started as a gasser and was upgraded to A2 status at some point in its life too.

Squirt-Truck

Master Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A1 to A2 difference is the 427 vs the 465. Other parts are just alterations as the trucks evolved and over time. Multi (465) conversions were done from gas and A1's. Sprag vs air cases are only a matter of time of assembley or re-assembly.
A1's did have the low exhaust but many had clean air kits installed.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks