• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

possible deuce turbo problem

stumps

I've blown several compressor outlet hoses on different pieces of equipment and have never had a turbo failure because of it. What it will do is sound like a cannon going off under the hood when it blows and power will drop a bunch.
The turbo would seem to be fairly well protected from such shenanigans. It can't suffer vacuum because the engine would quickly die if the inlet were stuffed. The only other time when it could run relatively unloaded is when the outlet pipe severs, or a waste gate (if your turbo has a waste gate) is stuck open.

Turbos are pretty well designed considering the rough environment, and high speeds they have to run. It would seem likely that it would be hard to over speed one.

I'll hunt down the articles that discussed over speeding turbos and see what I can figure out.

-Chuck

Keith_J

If you choke off the compressor inlet, the turbo will speed up because the compressor forms a partial vacuum on the input, and vacuum has no mass to flow. This should be familiar to anyone that has ever run a vacuum cleaner, and stuffed up the hose.

If you choke down (not off) the outlet, the turbo will slow down because the compressor is doing work by compressing the air.

I have read several times that blowing a hose, or gasket on the output of the compressor will over speed the turbo, but I have never experienced it.

A simple shop vacuum cleaner experiment doesn't show much difference between the outlet blowing free, and being stuffed. The motor clearly slows down when it is stuffed vs blowing free, but all-in-all, you get a much greater difference in speed when the inlet is stuffed, than you get for anything you do to the output.

I will have to look into this some more.

-Chuck
Collapse of the compressor inlet could cause damage but you would have the issue of the turbine being starved. Unless it is a variable vane turbine, this is unlikely to happen.

I've blown compressor outlet hose connections...loud noise, dust everywhere but turbo/compressor was never damaged. And on the race track, I have heard blow-off valves triggering, on a CART (circa 1999), it could be quite violent affair.

Damage is most likely if the turbine is at speed and compressor outlet is choked/blocked. This can lead to compressor surge (backflow) as the blades stall.

But turbocharger damage in the LDT/LDS engines is just about impossible with the largish A/R ratios of the turbochargers. And with maximum boost in the 8 PSI (gauge) range with these huge turbine/compressors, it just won't happen.

stumps

I've checked and rechecked, and I am just wrong. A blown or open outlet pipe on a turbo will _not_ cause the turbine to overspeed. It will just pump air, which is what it does for a living.

Sorry for the misinformation.

-Chuck

conductorx

do you have any pics .you might not have a c turbo there are three different turbos they used on the deuce. the d,c and the lds427 .the d and the lds turbo dont whistle at idle .they only whistle a little under throttle. i have a lds 427 tubro on my d motor thats how it came out of the depot rebuild.
I thought the D and LDS turbos did not whistle at all. I was hoping to have a quiet truck. (so I could sneak up on wabbits)

Now I have question for the Modified area.. how do I stop it from whistling.

Thanks,
Gary

When the oil gets to the bearings, it should start making a low whistle that can be heard over the exhaust note. But before the oil gets there it is silent.

-Chuck
Unless it's hot. Then it's the other way around. When oil pressure rises, the turbo slows down. At least on my rig!

Cheers,
Mark

bruce187

Hello my m35 does the same exact thing she will not whistle until warmed up is this normal or should i be worried?? When i first got the truck it would whistle as soon as i started it but i had a big exhaust leak when i fixed that it seemed to take longer and longer to start whistling i've searched and searched on this site for help on this problem this is the only time i've seen it mentioned thank you for any information you can give me.....
sorry didn't to post with quote im new

Last edited:

steelandcanvas

I've seen this whistle, no whistle go both ways. Mine starts to whistle a minute or two at idle after starting up cold. My Buddy's immediately starts whistling upon a cold start up. Both trucks run very well. Go figure.

wb1895

My C turbo does not whistle until the truck is warm or the motor is revved over 1000 RPM. Once it is warm the darn thing whistles more than a construction worker at a beauty pageant.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks