• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

possible deuce turbo problem

So I installed a C turbo on my truck and I thought the turbo was supposed to start whistling as soon as the truck was started. But I don't hear the whistle until I step on the accelerator. Is it supposed to whistle on start up or is it just my imagination?

trudsmtuner

It's not your imagination, Mine does the same thing...
Maybe we're both crazy. but i thought might be the turbo seals rough and stuck until a little exhaust gas hits it. then it whistles from there on out.

What you might do which I havn't done is pull the pipe and rubber off the inake side of the turbo in the morning after it has set. Start it up and see if the impeller is moving.

derby

I have had two trucks with the C turbo. one would whistle at idle up thru the rpm range the other would only whistle above 1000 rpm's or so. Oh and if you put it on backwards it only humms:razz:

stumps

It's not your imagination, Mine does the same thing...
Maybe we're both crazy. but i thought might be the turbo seals rough and stuck until a little exhaust gas hits it. then it whistles from there on out.

What you might do which I havn't done is pull the pipe and rubber off the inake side of the turbo in the morning after it has set. Start it up and see if the impeller is moving.
[Had a bad day, disregard below- Chuck]
It would be better not to do that!

The turbo relies on the boost pressure of the engine intake to keep its speeds down. If you run it open on the intake side it could quite easily over speed and do damage to its bearings. It might even blow up if you stomped on the throttle.

[Had a bad day, disregard above - Chuck]

The turbo doesn't get any oil to the bearings until about 15 seconds after the engine is started. When the oil gets to the bearings, it should start making a low whistle that can be heard over the exhaust note. But before the oil gets there it is silent.

-Chuck

Last edited:

tm america

do you have any pics .you might not have a c turbo there are three different turbos they used on the deuce. the d,c and the lds427 .the d and the lds turbo dont whistle at idle .they only whistle a little under throttle. i have a lds 427 tubro on my d motor thats how it came out of the depot rebuild.

trudsmtuner

It would be better not to do that!

The turbo relies on the boost pressure of the engine intake to keep its speeds down. If you run it open on the intake side it could quite easily over speed and do damage to its bearings. It might even blow up if you stomped on the throttle.

The turbo doesn't get any oil to the bearings until about 15 seconds after the engine is started. When the oil gets to the bearings, it should start making a low whistle that can be heard over the exhaust note. But before the oil gets there it is silent.

-Chuck
The pipe between the filter and the inlet on the turbo.

NOT between the turbo and intake manifold of the motor.
there is no way it can hurt the turbo on the inlet side of the turbo other than sucking dirt if you got mud falling off,

I've had turbo vehicles all my life. The fins of the turbo Should spin as soon as it starts up. even though it does take some time for oil pressure to build up and pump through the turbo.

if it doesn't the bearings could be dragging,

Keith_J

Turbochargers won't overspeed if the outlet blows because that increases the mass flow, slowing the wheel down. Sounds backwards but it is true. What is really hard on a turbocharger is stall, this happens when the compressor outlet is suddenly choked off. The momentum in the turbine/compressor/shaft then tries to generate pressure ratio exceeding the steady state capacity. Flow eventually reverses, over stressing either the turbine, compressor or shaft.

Diesel engines are easier on turbos since there is no throttle and the mass flow through the intake is just a function of RPM and manifold pressure. Gasoline engines with throttles can have issues, depending on the position of the throttle to the turbo. Spin it up, then slam the throttle closed and there can be compressor stall, such systems usually have a blow-off valve which slows the compressor/turbine.

Last edited:
Nope definetly a C, its whistling nice now just not as loud as I would like.

Another stupid question. Is there supposed to be a gasket between the turbo and exhaust? It leaks a bit of exhaust from the connection between the turbo and exhaust.

tm america

yes there is definately suppose to be a gasket between the turbo and the exhaust manifold .any exhaust leaks there will drastisticly ruduce the effectiveness of the turbo as it relies on the exspansion of exhaust gases to drive the tubro thats why they work better at higher egts. and a tubro cant hurt itself because of a leak post turbo. many tubros have a blow off valve in the air tube to regulate the boost.if the tube were left off the engine wouldnt build enough heat from not being loaded to make the turbo spool up .

stumps

The pipe between the filter and the inlet on the turbo.

NOT between the turbo and intake manifold of the motor.
there is no way it can hurt the turbo on the inlet side of the turbo other than sucking dirt if you got mud falling off,

I've had turbo vehicles all my life. The fins of the turbo Should spin as soon as it starts up. even though it does take some time for oil pressure to build up and pump through the turbo.

if it doesn't the bearings could be dragging,
Sorry, I didn't read carefully enough. I thought you were going to pull the pipe between the outlet and the manifold... not that that would make sense.

The sound of the C turbo changes quite a bit as the oil reaches the bearings. Before the oil it sounds kind of raspy (not metal to metal, but just strange), and then as the oil hits the bearings it gets smooth and the whistle becomes distinct.

-Chuck

Last edited:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another stupid question. Is there supposed to be a gasket between the turbo and exhaust? It leaks a bit of exhaust from the connection between the turbo and exhaust.
You know, I've torn some down that had a sealing ring and some that didn't. The truck I currently have doesn't have the sealing ring and it doesn't leak.

tm america

i done run exhaust manifold gaskets on any big block fords as they will blow out and make the bolts break off. they dont leak without gaskets either as long as the surfaces are true it will seal up.i use a honing stone to flat sand them .they are rearly flat

stumps

Turbochargers won't overspeed if the outlet blows because that increases the mass flow, slowing the wheel down. Sounds backwards but it is true. What is really hard on a turbocharger is stall, this happens when the compressor outlet is suddenly choked off. The momentum in the turbine/compressor/shaft then tries to generate pressure ratio exceeding the steady state capacity. Flow eventually reverses, over stressing either the turbine, compressor or shaft.
If you choke off the compressor inlet, the turbo will speed up because the compressor forms a partial vacuum on the input, and vacuum has no mass to flow. This should be familiar to anyone that has ever run a vacuum cleaner, and stuffed up the hose.

If you choke down (not off) the outlet, the turbo will slow down because the compressor is doing work by compressing the air.

I have read several times that blowing a hose, or gasket on the output of the compressor will over speed the turbo, but I have never experienced it.

A simple shop vacuum cleaner experiment doesn't show much difference between the outlet blowing free, and being stuffed. The motor clearly slows down when it is stuffed vs blowing free, but all-in-all, you get a much greater difference in speed when the inlet is stuffed, than you get for anything you do to the output.

I will have to look into this some more.

-Chuck

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have read several times that blowing a hose, or gasket on the output of the compressor will over speed the turbo, but I have never experienced it.
I've blown several compressor outlet hoses on different pieces of equipment and have never had a turbo failure because of it. What it will do is sound like a cannon going off under the hood when it blows and power will drop a bunch.

tm america

a friend of mine put 4 inch exhaust on his truck with a c turbo it whistles so loud at idle you can barely stand next to it .you hear him from a mile away

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks