• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Possible HMMWV at Lejeune in near future

texwatercop

Hey just went by the Lot at LeJeune today and theres a blown up?? or at leaset burned up HMMWV (not sure what type) there and also an older 4 door with the truck bed that looked to be in decent shape. I can get more info for anyone interested and maybe some pics if they allow.
I live about 5 minutes from the 172 Eastern gate

91W350

I saw two nice looking ones in the back row of the GL lot at Riley yesterday. It did not take them long to assure me they were not going to auction!

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
out of curiosity, what is the Govts reason for forced destruction of HMMWVs?

I can see where the competition with the Humvee may have been an issue to the company that produced them for civ. release, but to my knowledge they are off the market.

texwatercop

Something about them not complying to to safety standards for civ vehicles... but then why would they sell them to LE Agencies..... sounds like BS to me. Mabey they should start selling more stuff in working order.. might make up for loss of budgets.... gotta be better than taxing some dude that flies a jet, somehw i dont see them making alot of income with that line of thought.

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They tried to force Once-fired-brass to be destroyed and outrage from the reloading community at what was at least perceived as an Anti-gun move stopped it and had the rule changed.

This is your govt, all you need to do is tell them to knock it off and they will.... assuming you get enough people saying it.

Now that the Humvee isn't for sell, that pressure should be off the list.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey just went by the Lot at LeJeune today and theres a blown up?? or at leaset burned up HMMWV (not sure what type) there and also an older 4 door with the truck bed that looked to be in decent shape. I can get more info for anyone interested and maybe some pics if they allow.
I live about 5 minutes from the 172 Eastern gate

Welcome to Steelsoldiers. There a great bunch of people here.

A word of advise. Your post doesn't break the rules, but for future info we are not allowed to post any info about any future or current auctions. Closed auctions are ok.

That is the owners rule and we must abide by it or go play in someone elses sandbox.

Last edited:

jpinst

We know they don't want you to have them, but if the government could earn more from the vehicle or armor from a private sale (like they do in the UK), then why sell it as scrap? Is the US government so wealthy they don't need any extra change? A scrapped APC is probably worth $5k, but in de-milled driving condition, its probably worth tens of thousands......

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We know they don't want you to have them, but if the government could earn more from the vehicle or armor from a private sale (like they do in the UK), then why sell it as scrap? Is the US government so wealthy they don't need any extra change? A scrapped APC is probably worth $5k, but in de-milled driving condition, its probably worth tens of thousands......
The best way is to apply public pressure on the Lawmakers to change the rules. Research the movement to reverse the required scrapping of used brass (once shot brass). Public outrage made them reverse the rule and you can now buy it from GL again without being forced to mutilate it. (if you have a 53k lb capacity trailer. :) )

It can be done, but it requires that people organize and present a unified voice of their concerns to their Representative and/or Senater.

I would think the lose of history would be the biggest leverage. In a time when museums can't afford to preserve these vehicles, there are private collectors that are willing to spend time and money to preserve these historic vehicles for future generations. Point out that these vehicles are displayed and that the public has access at air shows and other events, unlike other collectibles which are locked away and never seen again.

This could be done, but it requires people voicing their concerns and getting a small percentage of the public to agree and call their lawmakers. (I write mine several times a year, it does effect their voting, but only if they see more then one of their voters being concerned.

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not sure if I want to bring the Deuces into it. The way they think they may take them off the list. :)

I would say that they sell a lot of equipment that is not driven on the roads. If the state you live in will not title it for road use, that is between the buyer and the state. Most of the tracked vehicles would be transported by trailer, just like bull dozers and the like being sold by GL.

jpinst

Not to mention the fact, that on days like Independence day or memorial day, we use this vehicles to honor vets, carry them in parades, or put on display. Additionally, how can Hollywood make certain movies without the vehicles available. Its really a shame I think, and perhaps there something can be done if a movement gets started. I just cannot believe the things for sale in the UK...makes me so jealous.

Disciple

They stopped releasing them because of what Tex said. The dash, steering wheel, pretty much the whole interior is bare metal. No air bags, pretty sure no ABS, etc. They figure in a crash you're pretty much guaranteed to be turned into hamburger. I say just throw a zombie plow on the front and drive it like you stole it. That way if you do happen to hit anything you'll just go THROUGH it!

Vote for me! I'll get 'em released!

KsM715

They stopped releasing them because of what Tex said. The dash, steering wheel, pretty much the whole interior is bare metal. No air bags, pretty sure no ABS, etc. They figure in a crash you're pretty much guaranteed to be turned into hamburger. I say just throw a zombie plow on the front and drive it like you stole it. That way if you do happen to hit anything you'll just go THROUGH it!

Vote for me! I'll get 'em released!

Umm, The deuce/5ton and most all of the other trucks that they ARE releasing have everything (or lack of) you just described.

Disciple

Umm, The deuce/5ton and most all of the other trucks that they ARE releasing have everything (or lack of) you just described.
Well, that's our glorious Federal Gov't for ya! Not saying it's right, just saying that's the reasons they gave. Even if they're wrong they're right. Maybe we shouldn't point out this little fact too loudly. They might change their minds and all of a sudden we can't buy tanks and helicopters anymore... oh... nevermind.