• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Possible injection problem

jsd563

On my M1008 during hard acceleration when it gets about 1/2-3/4 of the way thru theRPM range it Boggs down On power and blows blue smoke ..... Is my IP going,??? Or could it be something else

Barrman

I would suggest a fuel and air filter replacement first. Does it do this in every gear? Pull the return line check valve on the top of the IP and look through it. Can you see through it or is it all filled up with crud? Black little spec crud. If it is filled up, your IP is coming apart and will need replacement. You problem reads like a fuel supply problem. In tank sock, mechanical lift pump, filter, pinched line, IP and the return system could all be the cause.

jsd563

Thanks .... I'll check it out ..... The filter is only with only about 3000 miles but it still can be plugged and I have a CAT spin on housing with a primer pump to install anyway ... Where do I find this check valve on the IP and how do you open it up

Barrman

Stand if front of your truck with the hood open. The oil fill tube is at the front top of the engine. Behind that is the aluminum coolant cross over pipe. Right behind that in the middle is the IP. There is a black neoprene hose coming off the IP going toward the coolant cross over. It will have a red squeeze clamp holding it to the IP. That is the fuel return line. Loosen the red clamp, pull the hose off and use a 9/16 socket to remove the fitting the hose was on. That is the return check valve. There is supposed to be a spring loaded glass ball inside of it.

Please let me know how this goes. Same thing happened to me yesterday. Was rolling down the highway then a sudden large drop of power and lots of smoke coming out both pipes. Could barely maintain 40 mph. Went to work, she fired right up and was good for a few minutes then when under power, same thing happened. I was going to start by adding some 911.

The tank was really close to empty, and it's been really cold at night lately and I haven't run her in awhile. Put in a half a tank of fuel on the way to work. Was thinking there could be some water in the tank? Thoughts/suggestions are appreciated. Will check the IP return and fuel filter as stated above. Air filter was just off as I changed the GP's, so I know it isn't that.