• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Possible list of all the fuels and needs to run them?

4x4forlife

I think it'd be a great idea to make a list of all the types of fuels and what needs to be done in order to run with them in a multi-fuel engine.

Please excuse me but I've been tying to look up this information on my own and I feel like I'm trying to learn a new language with all the abbreviations and such :confused:

Basically all I could "decipher" from what I've been reading the pas few days is
1) diesel fuel with nothing needed.
2) cooking oil but don't know what to do with it
3) gasoline with 1 clean qt of oil for ever 15 gallons.. what weight oil? Considering I've seen that you can use old motor oil as a fuel??
4) and last jet fuel type ...a? i think? but I don't even know what that means..

But anyway I just think it'll be a great addition to an otherwise very infrmational site

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since your main trouble is not understanding the acronyms, I would think you'd be better off just asking in all the threads you read, what the acronyms stand for. That could help all new readers.

No new fuels have been discussed in the last year or so. That means all the choices are already listed in this forum.

Do you have a multi-fuel truck now? What fuels are you using?

Last edited:

4x4forlife

Since your main trouble is not understanding the acronyms, I would think you'd be better off just asking in all the threads you read, what the acronyms stand for. That could help all new readers.

No new fuels have been discussed in the last year or so. That means all the choices are already listed in this forum.
I don't mean to go against what you said in any way , but I think I'll just spend the rest of this rainy boring day making a list for myself of all the types of fuels and what needs to be done for safe use in a multi-fuel engine.

As you said, they have all been discussed before so it's just a matter of digging I guess. It just seems to me like it would be really helpful to anyone, even a long time owner that has just stuck to straight diesel, to have a list of exactally what his/her alternatives are.

Didn't realize your second question but I don't currently own a multi-fuel truck. Going on tuesday to pick a deuce out of a line up of about 12 or so. I honestly don't know if any or all of them are multi-fuel. Just kind of hoping they are considering I've got roughly 20 gallons of old motor oil sitting in oil jugs in my back yard from oil changes and I've just been too lazy to bring them anywhere hah plus diesel around here is always going up or down. Not that I'm worried about the price but it would make me feel a lot better about just hoping in and going for a cruise knowing I spent close to nothing on my gas.

Last edited:

harleyrkc

I don't want to hijack your thread but I'd love to see a list of what everyone's been mizing. I've read a lot about different mixs with different oils but haven't seen much about those same recipes in the cold weather months. I see a lot of guys claiming to be running 80/20, WMO/diesel. I've seen someone here claiming they run 30/30/20/10, WMO/WVO/diesel/unleaded.

A little elaboration on some of these recipes and everyones experiences with them would be great.

Kalashnikov

So far I have run Diesel, WMO, WMO/used cooking (75/25), hydraulic oil , hydrualic/WMO (25/75), used cooking/gas (50/50), used cooking, WMO/gear oil (90/10).

I like hydraulic oil the best but it mixes well with WMO.

WMO is mostly what I use and it feels more powerful than straight diesel but takes longer to start and warm up.

WMO/used cooking oil ran well and seem to warm up/start easier. However, I got the cooking oil for this run from a different place than the 100% cooking oil.

Used cooking/gas mix was terrible. The gas loosened up all the gunk in the fuel lines and clogged my filters. Noticeable power loss.

100% cooking oil wasn't very good. Very hard starting, no power. This could also be due to clogged injectors. I put some injector clearner in the next tank which was the gear oil/WMO mix and it ran great. I'll have to try out a few gallons of straight cooking oil to restest. I'd like to get it running well on it since that's my most abundant fuel source.

charlessocccer

A note on runing the used cooling oil, It WILL clog injectors if you start up /shut off truck on it. (veggie oil should be 180 degrees when being run on)

I dont have any experience with the other fuels, but I have messed around a bit with used vegetable oil on my f350, and I am in the planing stages of a veggie powered go kart

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks