• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Possible M151 Purchase

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm trying to decide whether to purchase a new project. There are 2 M151A1s, a driver with carb problems and a parts vehicle. Both are missing the windshield assemblies. They appear to be "deer lease" type vehicles and doubt they've been driven on the road since they were surplused. I haven't been able to see them in person yet and can tell they're definitely "project" vehicles from the limited photos but no idea on the extent of rust damage or whether they were welded back together properly (I'm assuming they've both been cut). At $1400 for both at what point should I say "that's just too rough" and walk away? I know that's sort of a subjective question but I'm having a hard time not selling myself on them since I've wanted a 151 for a long time.

1st pic is the runner.

151 pic1.jpg151 pic2.jpg

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Enough to take care of a carb issue. My concern would be the underside of the body and having to replace any of the braces/channeling. I've convinced myself I can tinker with the runner to play with for now while I disassemble the other one for restoration. I'm sure the wife won't mind me putting her M37 out in the elements while I spend 18 months or so restoring it :)

Enough to take care of a carb issue. My concern would be the underside of the body and having to replace any of the braces/channeling. I've convinced myself I can tinker with the runner to play with for now while I disassemble the other one for restoration. I'm sure the wife won't mind me putting her M37 out in the elements while I spend 18 months or so restoring it :)
Is there a typo after "her" in the last sentence?
You typed "M37".
Did you mean to not include it and just go with ". . . wife won't mind me putting her out in the elements . . ."?

:grin:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
At $700 a piece, even if they are absolute junk, you can part them out and get half your $ back across the scale. Windshields are available. Biggest concern is severe rust on the underside. But these have been in your arid climate, shouldn't be too bad. I would pull the trigger, but I'm also a hoarder I am told.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is there a typo after "her" in the last sentence?
You typed "M37".
Did you mean to not include it and just go with ". . . wife won't mind me putting her out in the elements . . ."?

:grin:
No typo. The M37 is HERs and she tends to keep it under guard. I'm not sure I'll be allowed to play with something else in the shop.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Emailed the guy with my number and said I would take them sight unseen. Eight hours later he said he tried to call me (no missed calls on my phone) and then sold them when I didn't answer. My guess is he decided he was selling them too cheap and just pulled them. Oh well. Still have room in my shop.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks