• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Possible new M51 owner!

71DeuceAK

While back in Sitka, AK visiting an old neighbor (street I spent part of my childhood on) I was anecdotally relating how I'd considered daily driving a 50 year old Deuce and a Half on alternative fuels. "I know where a Deuce and a Half dump truck is" he says. Drives me over to look at it, and lo and behold it's literally ONE STREET OVER, RIGHT BEHIND where I lived for part of my childhood. 300 yards away and I never knew. Pulling up and backing out in the car I could tell it was a M51.

He knows the guy, put me in touch with him already. I'm gonna offer like a grand, he was gonna junk it but you have to pay to junk a vehicle in that area so I'll be helping him by taking it off his hands.

Now, anyone got some M51 experience they can share? I know the basics (single circuit air over hydrualic brakes, engine could be a gasser, MACK or a multifuel, etc). It might be my first MV and first vehicle.

71DeuceAK

I looked on Google Streetview, never updated since 2011 in that area, and lo and behold, it was there, in the driveway of the house directly behind where we lived. It's since been moved to an adjacent piece of property he doesn't own so it's moved at least once since then.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I looked on Google Streetview, never updated since 2011 in that area, and lo and behold, it was there, in the driveway of the house directly behind where we lived. It's since been moved to an adjacent piece of property he doesn't own so it's moved at least once since then.
Hopefully It moved under it's own power. The M51 is a 5 ton truck, so take some pictures and post them, and I'm sure folks will be glad to help.

71DeuceAK

Now for one of my own photos, albeit hastily taken through a car windshield while briefly driven there, while he was turning the car around. This was yesterday, not in 2011, so note it moved: IMG_2535.jpgIMG_2535.jpg

71DeuceAK

Admin/mod, can you please remove the accidental double attachment? (leaving just one). I can't seem to figure out how to do that. Thanks in advance! (I imagine it takes up extra space on the site's servers).

red

With the air intake on that side and the exhaust up high it should be a m51a2 (multifuel), could be either the 5 speed direct drive transmission or the 5 speed overdrive transmission.

For your eventual camper plans it's easy to convert it over to a tractor. The PTO is driven by the transmission but all the hydraulics are integrated into the dump bed sub frame.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the dumpsters

... Pulling up and backing out in the car I could tell it was a M51.

It might be my first MV and first vehicle.
Looks exactly like mine. Yep, M51A2 Multifuel. Indestructible.

S5031870_resize.jpg S5031872_resize.jpg

Dump to tractor conversion: piece of cake, that is, if you rent a magnetic drill.

04072011240.jpg

Mine is switchable between dump truck and tractor, switching takes less than an hour, I need to streamline it further.

If you can get it for a decent price, do it BUT

..It might be my first MV and first vehicle.
You are jumping in the deep ocean of a cliff here (nothing wrong with that if you know what you are doing).

Everything on an M51 is big and heavy

So you need special heavy duty tools, and, as the TMs specify, soldiers B and C and the rest of the alphabet to manipulate things like tires. It can be done alone but its a pain.

If it really is your first car, I would get some experience in smaller cars first.

:soapbox: Also, be very much aware that this is a single circuit brake system. One failure anywhere along the circuit and you have 10 ton dead weight rolling around with nothing to stop it. Don't believe assurances like it brakes perfect, check and recheck and renew.

Having said that, go for it. Or just get it and store it until you are ready to tackle that project. If you don't want it, maybe I will come over those 12 000 km and make it into a project for a next Alaska Highway convoy :jumpin:

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I notice one very important thing...the bed is propped up so water does not pool. Good find. I had one located for $4500 and then they decided to get it running and they wanted $6500. Good luck

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Keep it a dump...don't change it. Here is a shot of my 817 (sold) which would be about the same. I love the looks of this series. After having the 817 and a 929, don't even think of going to super singles (on the rear). The duals are a much more stable ride with a load. If I had a way, I would have went to 365/80/r20 on the front, but from what I can tell, that requires re-centering an M35A3 wheel.

Attachments

Last edited:

71DeuceAK

Thanks for the info, guys!

Yeah, I'm aware of the single circuit brake system and how inherently sketchy those are known to be. Other people have already suggested I put M939 series axles/air brakes under it. I had my introduction to driving a manual in a Deuce with no brakes.

Yeah, my plan is to just get it, since it's kind of a screaming deal this cheap, and park it. I might not even see it for a few months but just one of those things you just buy now and figure out what to do with later. Worst case scenario I'll be the one scrapping it and not someone else, not that I would.

I'd love to sell to someone else possibly. A friend in North Pole said they'd want a 5 ton dump for the firewood chore, I told him you got first crack at it should I ever sell.

I'd wanted a M817 but this is pretty close, all things considered. Though a M929A2 would be pretty neat too.

red

To convert the truck to m939 series airbrakes costs about $1000 in valves, fittings, and air lines. The valves are cheap, it's the hoses and fittings that get ya. Recently went through this on my m816 wrecker. That cost is not including the brake components at each hub.

So unless you get a great deal on a set of m939 series axles (or brake components like I did) then just upgrade to a dual circuit master cylinder and upgrade to pinion brakes on the rear axles (to replace the stock tcase parking brake). The stock hydraulic brakes on those trucks can easily lock up all 6 tires even when fully loaded. The parking brake however, is ****.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
To convert the truck to m939 series airbrakes costs about $1000 in valves, fittings, and air lines. The valves are cheap, it's the hoses and fittings that get ya. Recently went through this on my m816 wrecker. That cost is not including the brake components at each hub.

So unless you get a great deal on a set of m939 series axles (or brake components like I did) then just upgrade to a dual circuit master cylinder and upgrade to pinion brakes on the rear axles (to replace the stock tcase parking brake). The stock hydraulic brakes on those trucks can easily lock up all 6 tires even when fully loaded. The parking brake however, is ****.
Lots of discussion going on making the 5-ton M39 series a dual circuit, but I think till now nobody here did it (or I missed the thread). I am preparing for it during the now starting repair period.

Can you give a good link to a pinion brake set and do they work on a 5-ton? I saw some threads on them but did not really find a good one explain how they work and how to mount them on a 5-ton axle.

red

Lots of discussion going on making the 5-ton M39 series a dual circuit, but I think till now nobody here did it (or I missed the thread). I am preparing for it during the now starting repair period.

Can you give a good link to a pinion brake set and do they work on a 5-ton? I saw some threads on them but did not really find a good one explain how they work and how to mount them on a 5-ton axle.
One if the companies that makes them, would need a different brake caliper (mechanical) https://www.redbarncustoms.net/rbc-5-ton-rockwell/rbc-5-ton-rockwell-pinion-brakes-1.html Just one would be similar to the stock setup in good working condition, up to 4 can be mounted on the rear axles.

For the dual circuit master cylinder one of the commercial units would work fine. 5 ton's don't have the space limitations that the m35a2's have.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
lol.....three years is nothing......Wait until you say...."I'm just going to swap a bigger motor into it". Ten years will click by before we open our first beer together.

The trouble is the 995 days we lost along the way. All good brother, that truck still looks great.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks