• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Possible plastic FMTV door handle replacement

Lmtv772

Banned
Mine closes like a new car door now with the new handles. Of course it closed fairly easily before but now not so much slamming the door as simply closing it.
The doorhandles this guy is selling ...are they the A1 handles or the inferior A0 handles? There is a big difference, not just in the price :)

Last edited:

Lmtv772

Banned
Pull up to open is a0. Pull to the side is a1
not entirely wrong!
there are 3 different styles of handles:
The old style pulls up (1995-2004) A0
The early A1 trucks made by BEA have a handle that pulls down and fits in the same opening. But it has been re-worked and beefed up in weak spots. (i might upload a few photo's later)
2_zpscyqtcmew.jpg
1_zps4nbbbfeg.jpg
3_zpsafgta97k.jpg
4_zpsbmknhauh.jpg

The later models of A1 and on built by Oshkosh have the larger Oshkosh handle ,which is found on other Oshkosh trucks and it pulls to the side. This door has a larger opening and the handle can't be used on A0 models.
s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The later models of A1 and on built by Oshkosh have the larger Oshkosh handle ,which is found on other Oshkosh trucks and it pulls to the side. This door has a larger opening and the handle can't be used on A0 models.
In that case these are the original style. As my truck is used for living history events and such I prefer what was original. My truck is not going to get the use or abuse that an active military vehicle would so I'm betting my handles will last as long as I do.

Lmtv772

Banned
In that case these are the original style. As my truck is used for living history events and such I prefer what was original. My truck is not going to get the use or abuse that an active military vehicle would so I'm betting my handles will last as long as I do.
Got ya, I was talking about the BAE handles, they fit in the same spot as the A0 , apart from the fact that they seem upside down. (reference my photo's)

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got ya, I was talking about the BAE handles, they fit in the same spot as the A0 , apart from the fact that they seem upside down. (reference my photo's)
Understand. I was just trying to cut your quote down to the essence of "not original" and may have deleted too much of it. Like I said, I think any of the handles will last as long as the trucks do for "hobbyists" like myself that opens the doors on the weekend. If someone is using the trucks in a commercial or actual working situation every day then they may want to go with the newer style. Otherwise I think we'll treat our vehicles with a little more care than the military does. There's a big difference between being given something to use as a tool and having to pay for something as a toy.

Last edited:

coachgeo

Which style seems to have the most longevity?

The Oshkosh is said not to fit- more detail please....... does not fit existing hole; that makes sense, does it still work with same/similar rods etc though if one was to cut hole larger?

scottreb

The Oshkosh is said not to fit- more detail please....... does not fit existing hole; that makes sense, does it still work with same/similar rods etc though if one was to cut hole larger?[/QUOTE]

I would think most any replacement door handle could be made to work. They all connect with similar set ups, rod from latch and rod from inside release. Just depend on how much you want to work.