• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Possible to use 9.00-20 tubes for 11.00-20 tires?

I want to put 11.00-20 5ton tires on my M275A2 2 1/2ton tractor thinking about if it will be possible to use the 9.00-20 tubes (use also the 9inch tire stock rims)...will they hold the pressure/more width/height or could they explode? Tubes for 8.00-20 to 10.00-20 are also available, so maybe the range 9.00-20 to 11.00-20 will be possible with one tube. The military tubes does have a thicker wall than the normal civilian tubes, could handle heavy load and heat so I think there are many reserves what they can.I will run normal presssure 55psi.Thanks

Westech

CPL
it will not work.. the 11.00 tire is 43-44 inches tall the 9.00 tube is not spoz to go that large the 900 tube will handle from 9.00-10.00 and the 1100 tube goes to 1200.... if you don't care and going to cheap out whatever. But I glad your driving over there and not over here.

rlwm211

The tube will eventually tear at a seam due to the over stretching of the rubber in the tire.

Don't forget that heat is also a factor in a tire.

I will be honest and say that for the cost of the right tubes, and the cost of either money, or time and trouble for changing tires I would put the right tubes and flaps in when I mounted the 1100's.

Just my two cents worth

RL

Last edited:

davidkroberts

the 11.00 by 20.00 tubes are very common and cheap here. Why not buy them and ship them to germany and not have to worry about it. I was buying mine brand new for 17.00 a tire a few months ago.

jatonka

the 9.00x20 tube will flat out not be OK in an 11.00x20 tire, from out on the long road experience. You can use a 10.00x20 tube in an 11.00x20 tire and get away with it. JT

Cleptomaniac

I went the cheap way and used the old 9.00 tubes. they have worked for several months but are going flat one at a time so i have ben putting new ones in as they go. The best adv is to put the correct ones in to start with:razz: Also a flat at highway speeds 55 when my steer tire went arent bad. The problem is when you start slowing down. As long as your moving it is ok.

emr

spend the 20 bucks for a tube, it is just not worth the effort to pull those tires and wheels back off, thats what the truck tire place by me gets, service tire, I think they are a chain... then the cost is the tire on the first time, then back off and then the right tube, does not equal a savings by any math... good luck, even if one lasts for awhile, they will pester u at the worst times, like said nothing will explode and the rims will stay together, but they will have a short life for sure...

jollyroger

I've run 9.00 20 tubes in my 395 85 R 20's on stock rims with stock flaps. They will work.......but not forever. Nothing lasts that long anyway. I change my tires and tubes out myself so it's just my sweat equity that I have in them.

Out of the 8 395 tires I did on my deuce with the 9.00 20 tubes. One went flat right away because the tube got pinched on instal. Two went flat after two years. The rest are still round, black and holding air after 2 and a half years. About 1400 miles.

It's not likely that they will blow up like a grenade. What is likely is that they will go flat at the worst time for you. So don't be mad at anyone other than yourself if you choose to do this.

So if you need to save some money or can't easily find the right tubes you can put them in. It's not the best long term solution. But you can get rolling for a while this way..........Just expect to change them out as they go flat because they will go flat. Or just change out a tube in the spare every so often and rotate that tire onto the truck. That's what I'm doin'.

Mikey90744

Im not trying to start trouble or anything just seriously asking. aren't tubes just a couple of bucks? or are truck sized tubes expensive?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks