• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

possible to weld differential in m1009 gov lock

turbinesurgun

Is it possible to weld the rear diff in my 1009? apparently i was supposed to add limited slip additive and didnt know it and screwed my limited slip up. Any help, suggestions, and pics would be greatly appreciated

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why cobble it together? NOS 10 bolts are $295 complete. I even think there is one in the classifieds.

turbinesurgun

Thanks, I will have to check that out. Is that the whole axle or just the gears? Its just used on the farm so i do not want to put a whole lot of money into it, but on the other hand i want it to be reliable.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last edited:

Midnight Rider

If you had a standard 1009 rear axle, you don't need to add anything to it but regular gear oil. The 1028 was the only one that needed the additive from what I read.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know the M1008 has some sort of locking diff. I'm not sure about the 09.

To answer your question, yes you can weld it up. You won't like it on pavement, it will eat tires like crazy, and you may break axles.

466Navastar

like m16ty says..... +

you have to weld like you know what youre doing though - otherwise you will have about 5 minutes of the best posi you ever had and then BOOM !......dont even think about it - if you EVER take it off dirt or loose stone.....pavement will make you sorry pretty quick.

acesneights1

Not to mention the wheel can fall off. You could buy a whole rotted chevy gasser truck for 300$ and cut the diff out...
Look around on Cl. an Older 12 bolt will work too and most of them were 3.08

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Only time I ever did it was in demo derby cars. It was a dirty cheap way to have pos. Even in the mud of the ring, I'd still break a axle every now and then.

Other than that, there's no way I'd do it to a vehicle I wasn't fixing to crash.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks