• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Possible?? Tonneau for M101A2??

stereoman405

Just a thought for those times that you need water tight storage with decent aerodynamics and a "non-MV coolness" factor. Anyone seen a pickup hard top or soft roll up tonneau cover that would work on an M101A2? Seems like they are similar to a pickup bed dimensions. Could be handy, especially the roll up style. Easily removable.

davidkroberts

im making a fiberglass campershell for mine. I dont think making a tonneau cover would be overly difficult. I would get some square tubing to fit the side panel holes and have them bent with a slight dome to shed water/snow. Then get the cover material measure by hand mark the underside in chalk what you want and drop it off at the upholstry shop. The attachment points would be similar to the M100 trailers. you already have the cargo cover tiedowns already. I would go with a bungee cord rope for the tiedowns to keep it taut.....

should be easy, good weekend project

NEIOWA

Thanks for the help. I was hoping to find a complete setup like this:

Access® Tonneau Covers - Roll Top Tonneau Covers for Pickup Trucks

The side rails clamp on so no drilling. If I just got the fabric by itself I'd have to put snaps or something down the entire length.

Its just hard since all of these want you make and model of rig for dimension. For some reason I don't think '91 Kaiser M101A2 is on their list. :shock:
I'm sure you would like to have that complete setup. Stick to the cover though, will be less trouble in the long run.

WIH3

You would think that would be easy. The dimensions of the holes are off enough there is no material that works. It really sucks. I looked into my own bows and nothing works. except 1" conduit. that would work.

Oasis-3

Ok we are going to build a tonneau cover next week I will get some pictures when it's done. Then we will see what we have into it and see if we can make it into a kit.

ChesapeakeJohnny

Let me know how it goes! I'll likely drive up to take a look.

I'm planning to put a rooftop tent on ours, so will have aluminum bracing coming up and across from the stake pockets. I'd have to incorporate that into the design.

Also looking into fabricating an aluminum lid with hinge & gas struts. Seems a great excuse to get that TIG welder I've been hankering for... :)

derekrayhall

M101A2 bed size

That topper looks good! Does anyone know what pickup truck bed is the same size as the M101A2?

I wold love to have a cross ref so I could hunt down used parts that may fit on the trailer.

harleyhouse

I went with one from here:

Machine Covers - Five-Sided Snug-Fitting Tarps

less than $100.00 shipped and It fits great.
I changed out the rope to bungee and it works better.
Easy on and off.

If one on the truck toneau companies were smart they would offer a snap cover with a frame for the 101 trailers

Attachments

harleyhouse

Measure the tub length and width and I added 1"
make sure to measure the tailgate latches too. then decide how long you want the side skirts to be. I believe mine are 5" but I will check.

For bungee I bought a 50' roll of 3/8" of ebay
and bungee hooks for the end. I had 3' extra.

call my tarp and tell them Mark Harley sent you.
ask to order a machine cover

derekrayhall

Thanks guys! After more research, the closest matches are as follows:
82-96 LWB Ford
73-87 Dodge LWB

Both are about 72x99

You could also make just about any hard cover work by welding a 10-20 inch sheet of steel across the tongue end of the cargo area and fab some hinges to it.

I recently came across a "undercover" brand truck toneau for $50 bucks used.

Snugtop dealers tend to have lots of "garbage" used toppers that are like treasures to us trailer guys.

Hope this info is useful to someone as I have and continue to really enjoy the "search" for cool builds on these great trailers.

Derek

derekrayhall

Hey Harley!

I am working on building some bows for my trailer. I am using PVC with 45 degree elbows and sliding them into the stake pockets. Do you have pictures of your tarp with the bows underneath?

Derek

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks